Saints Steal Victory In Final Minute

St Helens vs Wakefield Trinity looked like it would become the first Super League game to go to Golden Point since it's introduction, McCarthy-Scarsbrook denying spectators that opportunity and ensuring the two competition points headed back to St Helens.

Wakefield had an appalling start to the game, Trinity spilling the ball straight from the kick off, handing Saints prime field position in close proximity to the home sides line. mark Percival would have first crack at the line on the second tackle, the referee deeming Percival had promoted the ball carrying arm off the deck, Trinity winning the penalty for a double movement.

Inside the eighth minute Saints would finally get the try that they deserved, the visitors camped out on the Wakefield line for a couple of tackles before Theo Fages threw a flat ball for Morgan Knowles to burst onto, the Welsh international powering through to score, Percival on hand to convert.

Wakefield had started to come into their own in the opening 20 minutes. Saints would spill the ball close to their line to hand Trinity possession in a superb position, Wakefield reluctant to rush the opportunity and when Ryan Hampshire got the beating of his man he would float a superb pass to Tom Johnstone out on the wing to see the acrobat fly into the corner, the conversion missed.

Neither side was offering their opponent an inch in attack and it was going to take something a little unorthodox to create the next points. Lachlan Coote crabbing across the line before bulleting a pass to Tommy Makinson on the wing, the England international haring 30 metres to the corner, Percival unable to add the extras.

Wakefield refused to go away and responded almost immediately, Jacob Miller getting the arm free after contact and setting away Matty Ashurst, Ashurst releasing Tom Johnstone to bag his second of the game, Danny Brough slotting the conversion to level the score into half at 10-10.

Trinity came out firing in the second half, intensity and speed both lifted, this lift leading to a penalty well within Danny Brough range, that successful conversion taking the halfback to 500 career points for Wakefield.

Trinity's new found lead would be very short lived, Lachlan Coote once more the architect of Wakefield's downfall, the fullback getting on the outside shoulder and unleashing Reagan Grace into the corner for his first try of the game, Percival unable to convert and the score staying at 14-12 in favour of the visitors.

Tommy Makinson would extend his sides lead to a converted try with 13 minutes left to play, James Roby flying out of dummy half to link up with Fages and Lomax who would eventually put the in form winger over for his second try of the game, Percival unable to convert from the touchline to make it 18-12.

Bill Tupou terrorised St Helens last year and it looked like the ghost of seasons past had come back to bite them once more, a penalty putting Trinity within touching distance of the Saints line and when the ball went through the hands, Tupou forced his way through a hole to score and put the pressure on Brough to tie the game with six minutes on the clock, Brough keeping his call and knocking the ball over to level the score at 18-18.

It looked odds on that the game was going to Golden Point when Lachlan Coote missed a drop goal attempt with two minutes left to play. Reagan Grace would field a deep Wakefield kick and put his side back on the oppositions 30 metre line, Coote not having to make another shot for the sticks as McCarthy-Scarsbrook smashed his way over to score with no more than one minute 20 left on the clock, heart-breaking stuff for Trinity, Percival on hand to convert and Saints scraping a 24-18 win.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call