Catalans Claim First Win In Clinical Fashion

The Catalans Dragons opened up their account for 2018 with a confident and assured performance against an injury struck and struggling Huddersfield, the Giants not only lost the game but potentially another playmaker as Izaac Farrell was escorted from the field with a knee injury.

The Giants made a more than convincing start to the game, Australian import Matt Frawley grabbed his first Huddersfield try inside six minutes, consistent pressure on the Dragons line causing it to finally cave and the halfback scrambled over. Farrell converting the try.

Catalans would build momentum of their own and seemed like it wold only be a matter of time before they would turn possession into points, in the 16th minute it would finally happen. Brayden Williame refusing to let a teasing kick into the in-goal area go and the Fijian international giving the home fans something to cheer, Sam Tomkins would level the score off the boot on the left touchline.

Williame would have his second of the game just three minutes later as the Dragons stole the lead. Matt Whitley would use all his strength to strip the ball from a Huddersfield man before offloading off the deck to Tony Gigot, Gigot attacking the line and releasing an unmarked Williame to bag his second of the game in the left corner, Sam Tomkins once more on hand to convert, 12-6.

The Dragons speed of play was causing the Giants defensive line real headaches, Huddersfield's attempts to slow play would only bring a penalty within range of Sam Tomkins boot, the Catalans number 29 happy to oblige and take his side to a 14-6 lead on the half hour mark.

Catalans were quickly shifting through the gears and busting holes in the defensive line, it seemed like another chance at points was never too far away. The Dragons spine snapping into action and flowing through the motions superbly, Langi supplying Gigot out the back, Gigot with a flat ball to Tomkins and Tomkins throwing a cut out pass for Lewis Tierney to tip toe into the corner to cap off a superbly worked move.

Brayden Williame looked like he could have had his third or fourth try of the game in the closing stages of the first half but was denied twice denied by covering tackles from the Giants to finish the first half at 18-6 in favour of the home side.

The Giants would start the second half how they finished the first, behind their posts. A high shot on Remi Casty would offer Sam Tomkins yet more easy points from in-front of the sticks, Catalans now 14 points ahead.

A string of injuries would heavily impact the flow of the game, Bousquet, Baitieri, Whitley and Farrell all requiring treatment in a short space of time, all three Catalans player's able to continue but young Izaac Farrell unfortunately succumbing to a nasty looking knee injury.

Soon after losing one of their rising talents another would follow, Matty English taking a head knock in a tackle with Casty, English appearing to be out cold for a few seconds and forced to leave the field for a HIA, leaving the Giants with only two usable interchanges for the last 20 minutes of the game.

A high kick close to the Giants line would spark chaos when Uate lost an aerial contest to Lewis Tierney, the Dragons winger batting the ball back to Sam Tomkins, Tomkins shinning the ball
forward before regathering and grounded to have his first try in Catalans colours, Tomkins then converting his own try to push the French side to a 26-6 lead.

Huddersfield would grab a late consolation try to give their travelling support something to cheer, Oliver Roberts getting to the bobbling kick faster than the Dragons, Darnell McIntosh unable to convert, 26-10. Matty Smith would decide an extra point was in order and slotted a drop goal with 5 seconds left on the clock to see the Dragons claim a 27-10 win.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call