Quick Starting Malta progress to Cup Final over Hungary

Malta and Hungary would come together in the Cup semi-final on day 4, with a spot in the final on the line for the winner. Malta were looking to get back into the winners circle after a loss against Niue, while Hungary would be looking to go for three consecutive wins in the competition. Both teams would make mass changes, and Malta would reap the benefits immediately to start the game.

It would be Malta who would score from the kick off, running up the field to be in good position on the last tackle. Adam Campbell would put a bomb up from thirty metres out, and Jono Dallas would leap highest to grab it and score on the left edge.

Nathan Benson would having the kicking duties, and miss his first attempt to leave it at 4-0 after just three minutes.

Malta would get a penalty on the first tackle off the kick off, and take full advantage of that to score again. Off the back of a quick play the ball, Jake Attard would send Kyle Green over from close range to stun Hungary yet again.

 Benson would make no mistake this time to make it 10-0 after six minutes for Malta.

The game would go into a holding pattern, with both teams conceding multiple errors and penalties as the game progressed into the first half. Hungary would have a few opportunities deep in the attacking half, but the Maltese defense would hold solid to the task multiple times.

The hard slog would continue for Hungary, with their right edge having multiple opportunites to score. It would dwell the confidence of the side, and Malta would take advantage of that.

Malta's first tip into the Hungarian half would prove fruitful, with Adam Campbell using the work of his forwards to get close to the line. The bench hooker would dart from dummy half and score next to the posts.

Benson would make his second conversion to send the score to 16-0 for Malta just before half time.

Hungary would have a chance to get on the board right before the break, but errors would cost the Hungarians their chance as we would go into the break at 1-0 in favour of the Malta Knights.

Hungary would come out firing in the second half, with multiple sets in a row as well as fantastic field position allowing for a chance to score early. The Hungarians would have their chance, but Malta would yet again hold up on the right edge to deny a try.

Kyle Cassel would bust through a gaping hole to run 50 metres up field, nearly setting up a quick play the ball to allow some free flowing play on the right edge. Hungary would concede a smart penalty, and then forced the error to be let off the hook with a good hit close to the line.

Hungary would have another dig at the line through their hooker in Stuart Flanagan, but he would be stripped over the line by Tyler Cassel to be denied yet again.

Hungary would end up with a player advantage though, as Kyle Green would be sent to the bin for 10 minutes after giving the referee a little back chat after a penalty.

Hungary thought that they had got points on the board with some slick hands down the left edge, but the touch judge would be in perfect position to see the left foot of Nathan Farkah touch the sideline as he cut in to put the ball down in the in goal.

Jono Dallas would make a try-saving tackle on Jayson Gerces, but Hungary would finally get over on sixty six minutes through Brent Varga on the right edge.

That conversion from David Farkas would miss to the left to leave the score at 16-4 with ten minutes left.

Both teams would have chance after chance to score, but Kyle Cassel would burst through and give Tyler Cassel a chance to score. Hungary would come back to drag Cassel down, but Josh Cregan would get the ball on the left wing to seal the game for the Knights.

Benson would miss the conversion, but that would not matter in the end with the score at 20-4.

Hungary would score a consolation try through Paul Ivan on full time, but Malta had sealed the win to progress into the cup final against Niue. Hungary will play Greece in the 3rd place play off on Saturday.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call