Philippines Make Final After Convincing Win Over Turkey

An error 40 metres from  Turkey's own line would offer the Philippines the first real opportunity of the game, nerves playing their part in the fixture as the Tamaraws spilled the ball on their first hit up and then conceded a penalty to put Turkey on the Philippines goal line, opting to go for 1 out rugby from dummy half and wasting a real chance.

A penalty would give the Philippines to launch their own assault on the Turkey line, sending their big men in on short crash balls to high effect, Jones going closest before Sheedy tried to dribble in a kick behind the Turkey defence, Turkey's Ata Doruk Celikutan collecting the low ball.

The breakthrough would come on the 13 minute mark Dalcik reading a telegraphed Philippines pass on the Turkey 40 metre line, the Turkish centre then pinning his ears back and racing clear to open the scoring under the posts, Ali Bokeyhan Surer adding the extras.

The Philippines had started to warm their way into this fixture, moving the ball side to side through the hands looking to punch holes in the Turkish line, their reward coming in the 21st minute, a set play coming off for the Tamaraws when Dennis Gordon burst onto a drop off and angled himself back against the grain to score, Wiggins converting.

The Philippines would soon take the lead when a Wiggins spiraling bomb would wind away from the Turkish fullback and bouncing up kindly for a pursuing Richard Goodwin to collect and dive over to score to the left of the posts, the kick conveted once more by Wiggins.

The Tamaraws would soon have their third of the game, a penalty putting them with striking distance of the Turksish line, Paul Sheedy then scooting out of dummy half and getting low to avoid two defenders and score out to the right, Wiggins keeping his 100% record for the day.

Turkey would get one final crack at the Philippines line before the half, Baskinyali busting up the middle and going within 2 metres of the Philippines line, poor decision marking on the last would cost Turkey once more as they looked to scoot from dummy half rather than kicking to the in goal, the ball turned over, the score at the half 18-6 in favour of the Philippines.

After spilling the ball in their first set, Turkey would be forced to withstand yet another Philippino onslaught on their line, the Turkish contingent keeping out Sheedy and co to keep the deficit at just 12 points.

The Philippines would soon open the scoring to the second half, Mark Russell taking the ball to the line, shaping to pass but backing himself through the gap instead and drawing the attention of the Turkish fullback before releasing Stubbs up the middle to score from 10 metres out, the kick converted again and the Philippines taking a 24-6 lead.

Turkey just couldn't seem to be able to break down the Philippines close to their line,the line an impenetrable fortress and points escaping the Turkish grasp time and time again, until the 57th minute, Dalcik grabbing his second of the game when he twisted out of contact close to the line, the kick missed from the left touchline to make the score 24-10.

The Tamaraws would bag their 5th try of the game, Russel screaming for the ball on the left edge where a 3 on 2 would materialise, Russel throwing a long cut out ball for Ned Stephenson to race into the corner and ground to extend the lead to 14 points, after the kick was missed.

Turkey's day would go from bad to worse when Jaydin Salman-Cochrane was sin binned for dissent, the frustrating game clearly taking it's toll on the Turkish contingent. Arda Dalcik looked to have completed his hat-trick with 10 minutes to play, Turgut chipping over the defence on the last tackle, Dalcik grounding but deemed to have been offside and the try chalked off.

Turkey would get their third try when Aydin Salman-Cochrane exploded from the back of the scrum on the Turkish 10 metre line, breezing past his opposite man and racing clear to score out to the right of the posts, Ali Bokeyhan Surer converting and the teams only separated by 12 points at 28-16.

Paul Sheedy would put the game beyond doubt when he dropped a 1 pointer for the Philippines to make it 29-16 with 4 minutes left to play, that would be the score the game would finish up as the Philippines took their spot in the Trophy final.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call