Greece Hold Out Hungary for 3rd Place

Greece and Hungary met for the second time in the tournament, with Greece looking to make amends after losing to Hungary 20-18 on the opening day of the tournament. The third place play-off ensured that there would be plenty of good hits, fancy footwork and a few nerves. Those nerves would show very early on.

A very nervous start from Hungary proved costly, with a poor error on their first set setting them back a try. Greece would go over through George Tsikrikas, charging over from short range to open the scoring after just 2 minutes.

The conversion from Sam Stratis would be successful to give Greece a 6-0 lead after 3 minutes.

Greece would look to go over yet again, however some fantastic scrambling defence would see Hungary barrel over the Greek side to save themselves a 10-0 deficit.

10 minutes later, Sam Stratis got his name on the scoresheet after a perfectly worked play from the Greek side. The ball was swung to the left hand side, and a few Hungarian defenders were just caught in no mans land. That would allow Stratis to go in untouched for the second try of the day.

Stratis missed the conversion attempt from the left hand sideline to leave the score at 10-0 after 20 minutes.

Penalties and errors would cost both sides as we headed towards half time, as Hungary would try everything to get on the board. In the end, they would go to the tried and tested method of a short side play to allow Paul Ivan to barrel over the defence and score on the right hand side.

Jared Farkas converted his tough first attempt from the right hand sideline to make it 10-6 with just 8 minutes to go in the first half.

It wouldn't take long for Greece to restore their lead, with some fancy footwork off a Hungarian error allowing for an attacking set just before half time. Peter Mamouzelos sold a huge dummy and go over to score right before the break for Greece.

Sam Stratis converted the easy attempt from in front to give Greece a 16-6 lead at the break.

Peter Mamouzelos started the second half the same way that he finished the first, going over for his second try with a dummy half dive from just a metre out. 

Stratis missed his attempt on goal, with the score at 20-6 after 43 minutes. 

Hungary almost immediately hit back, with a huge bomb form Jared Farkas causing all sorts of issues for the Greek back 3. Zarounas would gather it eventually, but Paul McKewin would strip the ball from the fullback and reach over to score next to the posts. 

Jared Farkas converted his second attempt to give Hungary a sniff at 20-12 after 50 minutes. 

The Hungarians went back to back, with another great set putting them in good field position. Kardly Aksai got a short ball from dummy half and spun out of a tackle to score on the left edge, opening this game right up.

Jared Farkas converted his third attempt to bring the score back to 20-18 with 25 minutes still to play. 

Greece ended up scoring next, with a  try well and truly against the run of play. 
George Tsikrikas would pick up a loose ball on a Hungary error and run 30 metres, carrying over 3 defenders at the end to plant the ball down on the left edge.

Stratis missed the crucial kick to leave the game poised at 24-18, but a penalty goal 3 minutes later would see the game go to 26-18 with 6 minutes left.

Hungary would throw everything at the Greek defence, but they could not break through the stubborn line as Greece would hold on to win 26-18 and take the third place position.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call