Women's Super League Update

Here's a wrap up of all the action from the Women's Super League.

Castleford Tigers 20-32 Leeds Rhinos

A resilient Castleford side would give the Rhinos a run for their money in an enthralling contest that the Women's side would win 32-20 after a Rhiannion Marshall hat-trick.It would be a shakey start from the Tigers ending their opening sets with errors and bad decisions, opening the door to the Rhinos to take an early lead, captain Rhiannion Marshall would be the player to finish the opportunity, Spurr, Staveley and Anderson all going close before Marshall took her chance from dummy half, converting her own try to put the Rhinos 6-0 up. Leeds next try would come just minutes later, Caitlin Beevers would return a kick from her own 30, making a huge line break before splitting the Tigers straight up the middle stepping through 3 players and showing a clear pair of heels to beat the fullback and race 70 metres to score an unbelievable try under the posts, Marshall converting to make it 12-0 Leeds.

Leeds try scoring opportunities were coming thick and fast as Hanna Butcher would show and go at the line, bursting through and coming within metres of scoring in the corner, Butcher only denied by a good covering tackle. Leeds would crack the Tigers once more on the 25 minute mark, Manina Spurr rewarded for her efforts in the opening stages with a scoot over from dummy half out on the left to extend the Rhinos lead, Beevers unable to convert from out wide. Castleford would find a counter punch after a penalty, the Tigers setting up 15 metres from the Leeds line. 3 tackles in, Slowe would leg drive her way over for the home side to keep them in the contest, the try converted.

Leeds would have one more try in them before the half, Caitlin Beevers backing up on the inside after Frankie Townend once more split the Tigers from dummy half, the Rhinos fullback stepping past 2 and scoring under the posts from 25 metres out, Beevers converting her own try, halftime, 22-6 Rhinos. The Tigers would make a strong start to the second half, the home side using the width of the oitch to their advantage as they sent the ball through the hands, Pointon on the end of the set play, Stanley unable to convert from the wing, 22-10. The game would descend into deadlock, both sides testing the other and desperately trying to pierce their opponents defensive line. The Tigers would be the team to win the arm wrestle, an error giving Tara Stanley her second try of the game, the kick from the wing missed. Rhiannion Marshall would once more impose herself on the game, crunching the Tigers fullback to knock the ball loose, 3 tackles later, Marshall crossed the stripe to bag her second of the game from close range, Marshall converting her won try, 28-14.

Castleford would set the game up for a close finish with 10 minutes left to play, the Tigers once more spreading the ball, Stanley on the shoulder for the try as the Tigers closed the gap to 8 points after nailing the kick. It would be the Rhinos who would take the final points of the game with 5 minutes left to play, Rhiannion Marshall finishing her hat-trick off from 10 metres out, the captain backing herself past the markers to score out on the left. The Rhinos winning the contest 32-20.

York City Knights 6-38 Wigan Warriors

The Warriors knew a win was an absolute must to stay in the hunt for top spot with 1 game left to go. The Warriors getting over the stripe in the first 8 minutes through Abby Latchford, out on the wing. It wouldn't take the Warriors long to add to their lead, offload after offload finally falling to Amanda Sibbald as she went over out wide. The Warriors fully in control of the first half, taking a 24-0 lead into the half after a second try from Amanda Sibbald and a try from Becky Greenfield, Wigan with an assured first half performance.

It would be the Knights who would open the scoring to the second half, Paige Stevens finding her way to the Warriors line to give the Knights some confidence. The home sides' optimism would be short lived as the Warriors once more hit the scoresheet, Alison Burrows the latest scorer for the visitors taking them to a 28-6 lead. Further tries from Gemma Walsh, Becky Greenfield and Bethany Cox to give the Warriors a 38-6 win at York to keep their league leaders hopes alive.

Bradford Bulls 32-10 Featherstone Rovers

Bradford's hopes of a top 4 spot hung in the balance, a win giving them a slight chance of making the finals with a top 4 finish. Amy Hardcastle would open the scoring of the back of a quick pay the ball, the England international busting over from close range, shortly after Bose would offload close to the line to put the Bulls strike weapon over for her second. Greenwood would split Featherstone straight up the middle and sprint under the sticks from 50 metres out to widen the margin to 16 points. Hardcastle would complete her hat-trick on the verge of halftime after a length of the field try from the Bulls to give them a 24-0 lead into the half.

Hardcastle would bag her 4th try of the game to widen the gap further before Featherstone scored two uninterrupted tries. Bradford would finish the game with one final try, Amy Broadman throwing a pass for Reagan Walker to hit the gap and score seeing the Bulls off the field as 32-10 winners.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call