Wigan Stun Saints

Wigan made a very quick start to the game, Dan Sarginson opening the scoring inside 3 and half minutes, Morgan Escare splitting the Saints defensive line, Sarginson backing up on the shoulder and set away to score the games opening try, Escare unable to convert.

Wigan were determined to make Saints sweat in the early minutes, George Williams forcing a repeat set after a teasing grubber was forced dead, quickly followed by another repeat set when Sarginson trapped Makinson in the in goal area, Wigan unable to turn the possession into points.

Two tries would be chalked off in the space of two minutes, Saints McCarthy-Scarsbrook going over first, the verdict on field was no try, the video referee agreeing, Wigan then going down the other end and Sam Powell going over, try given on field but then the decision overturned after an obstruction in build up play.

St Helens would get their first repeat set of the game in the 25th minute of the game, the home side denied by some stubborn defence, Makinson on the end of a long looping pass, Sarginson firing out of the line and forcing the England International into touch.

Dan Sarginson would continue his superb efforts in this game as he registered his second try of the game, Joe Greenwood with the initial break, finding Oliver Gildart who streaked away before being clawed down by a covering defender, not before he got the ball away to Sarginson, Escare unable to convert again.

John Bateman would extend Wigan's lead 4 minutes later, the Canberra bound forward powering past 3 Saints defenders and over for the try, Williams converting and Wigan now holding a 14-0 lead on the verge of halftime.

Saints wouldn't go into the half empty handed, Richardson hoisting the kick high into the corner, Makinson collecting and spinning as he landed, the try checked upstairs and the given the green light, kick missed and the score 14-4 at the half.

Somehow the Warriors would make an even faster start to the second half than they did the first, Tom Davies going over inside a minute of resumption, Isa attacking the Saints left edge and setting Davies away, the young livewire winger superbly putting down one handed, Williams unable to convert.

St Helens would claw their way back into the game once more, McCarthy-Scarsbrook trundling down the right edge and offloading for Makinson to grab his second of the game, Richardson converting to make it 18-10 with 30 minutes to play.

Danny Richardson would send a spiralling bomb skyward, the kick slipping through the hands of Morgan Escare, Saints now set up 10 metres from the Saints line. Wigan holding out and then turning defence into attack, Wigan going down the other end of the field and Gildart stepped back inside Ben Barba to score for the away side, Williams adding the extras.

With 10 minutes left to play Sean O'Loughlin would put the game to bed, the skipper forcing his way over the Saints line in front of the travelling support, Williams adding the extras to make it 30-10.

The final 10 minutes were riddled with errors from Saints, a very poor showing from the league leaders overall as the Warriors exited the field 30-10 winners.


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours