Broncos Do It Tough Against Salford

It was always going to be a close contest in a must win game for both parties, Salford needing a win to book their return to Super League in 2019, the Broncos needing a win to keep their promotion hopes alive.

Salford would start well, pinning the home side to their own goal line for 12 tackles after Jack Littlejohn's kick caused the London wide men real issues, Lui utilizing Niall Evalds' inside support with a wonderful flat pass, the visitors denied only by a crucial interception.

It would be London who would open their account first, on the ten minute mark Kieran Dixon broke through the Red Devils and looked like going the distance, Greg Johnson's cover tackle saving a certain 6 points but instead costing his side 2 points after refusing to release Dixon, Sammut kicking the goal.

Salford's ill discipline would cost them yet more points, the Red Devils failing to clear the play the ball and handing London easy yards, 3 tackles in and London would have the games first try after 13 minutes of play, Jay Pitts with a one up carry and wriggling loose of the Salford defenders to ground the ball, Sammut going 2 for 2 off the boot.

Salford began to ramp up the intensity and had clearly started to shake off the early nerves, a penalty taking them to halfway and then sending Salford into an onslaught on the Broncos line, Niall Evalds stopped with less than a metre to the line and Jack Littlejohn's kick collected by Dixon to see London into calmer waters.

London were soon to become the potential masters of their own downfall, the Broncos put on a team warning for multiple infringements in the first 20 minutes of the game, no less than a minute later, Eddie Battye was sent for 10 after stripping the ball from Ryan Lannon, Salford's big opportunity had finally reared it's head.

Salford's handling had completely disappeared, knock ons occurring on the 2nd and 3rd tackle on 3 different sets while the Broncos were a man down, their golden opportunity coming to nothing. Instead it was the Broncos who had looked to have contributed to the scoreboard, Sammut intercepting a Salford pass and haring into the corner, the referee pulling play back for offside much to the relief of Salford fans everywhere.

London would add the final point of the first half, setting up in the middle of the field, Jarrod Sammut received a deep ball and slotted a drop goal to give London a 9-0 lead at the halfway point.

It was a very slow start to the second half, both sides failing to get out of first gear after the interval, taking 17 minutes of play to come up with anything of any significance, thankfully for the visitors it was a Greg Johnson try that would reinvigorate this game.

Kopczak busting up the middle for Salford before being pinned down for too long and earning his side 6 more tackles in a very dangerous position. The Red Devils executing a wonderful sweeping line move that saw; Littlejohn, Welham, Flanagan and ultimately Johnson involved, the powerful winger grounding out wide for the visitors, Lussick's kick wide of the mark, 9-4.

Johnson began to impose himself further on the game, going close to doubling his points tally for the day, finding himself on the end of yet another catch and draw move from the Super League outfit but this time London wise to it.

London would almost certainly put the game beyond all doubt when given a shot at the sticks for a Salford infringement, Sammut moving London to a seven point lead with 5 minutes to go and giving the visitors a mountain to climb.

Salford's chance to snatch the game back came too late in the game, Greg Johnson grabbing his second of the game and Lussick unable to convert leaving the final score at 11-8 in favour of the home side.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call