11 Man Salford Triumph Over Toronto

The Red Devils didn't make life easy for themselves, playing most of the game with 12 men and the last 2 minutes with just 11 men remaining on the pitch, Salford holding out and overcoming the challenge of the Canadians.

Salford made a fast start to the game, their field position coming from a penalty, the Red Devils getting to the last tackle and Hastings dribbling a kick through, former Salford fullback, Gareth O'Brien, spilling the ball 5 metres from his own line.

Salford making the field position count as a sweeping line move found it's way to Robert Lui, Lui giving the ball on quickly to Ed Chamberlain for him to open the scoring in the right corner inside 5 minutes, Chamberlain converting his own kick.

O'Brien wasn't having the return to the AJ Bell he had hoped for, this time collecting a high kick and being forced into his own in goal area, Salford had come to play and clearly taking this game very seriously.

Salford nealry making the possession count once more, another sliding line move, Niall Evalds crossing on the right edge untouched, the try ruled out for a slightly inconspicuous looking obstruction, many taking the opinion that the Toronto man dropped knowing he couldn't cover the ground.

The first of 4 cards would be shown to Lama Tasi after 15 minutes of play, the Salford hitman taking Andrew Dixon without the ball after Wallace dummied for the Toronto forward, Tasi a little too keen and sin binned for his efforts.

Being a man down didn't seem to phase Salford as they doubled their lead within two minutes of Tasi leaving the field, Toronto spilling the ball and Salford racing clear before being pulled down close to the line, Lui shaping to go right out of dummy half and going left by himself and grounding the ball with two Wolfpack men on him, Chamberlain adding the extras to make it 12-0.

Joey Lussick would make an immediate impact off the bench, the Manly rake ghosting out of dummy half after catching the markers napping, breaking 60 metres before being wrapped up by Gareth O'Brien to deny him a certain try, O'Brien guilty of holding down for too long and Salford shooting for the sticks, Chamberlain 3 for 3 as the Red Devils took a deserved 14-0 lead.

Salford would finish the half with a flurry, Niall Evalds on an inside ball from Robert Lui, Evalds setting away Kris Welham who fended a would be tackler and raced 40 metres before throwing it back inside and eventually finding it's way to Jackson Hastings, Chamberlain converting as Salford left the pitch with 20 points and a clean sheet under their belt for the first 40.

Toronto had clearly been n the receiving end of a very firm team talk in the interval and they came out ready for the second half, Adam Sidlow opening the scoring as he charged over from close range, O'Brien converting.

Toronto would strike again minutes later, attacking the Salford line at close range before stabbing the ball into the in goal area, Matty Russell reacting fastest to the opportunity on his return and the Wolfpack firmly back in the game, O'Brien unable to convert.

Luke Burgess would see red on his return to action after a high shot, the contact with the head deemed reckless by Robert Hicks and the Devils forward given his marching orders.

Salford's discipline had began to slip, too many penalties on their own line resulted in a team warning, the Wolfpack taking advantage of the refreshed set as Andy Ackers charged out of dummy half, the Toronto man findind his way over, O'Brien adding the extras, 20-16 with 20 minutes to play.

The Wolfpack would soon let their one man advantage slip, Chase Stanley dumping Junior Sa'u on his head, Sa'u left on the deck and clearly in discomfort, Stanley given 10 minutes for the dangerous tackle, the Salford fans demanding red from Hicks.

Repeat sets on the Wolfpack line would eventually pay dividends for the home side, Ryan Lannon barging his way through the Wolfpack defence to give Salford their first points of the second half, Chamberlain converting, 26-16.

Ed Chamberlain would take Salford to a 12 point lead off the boot as Josh Woods earned a penalty after a second go, Chamberlain maintaining his perfect record as Salford held a 28-16 lead.

The final talking point of the game was an unpleasant one, Jackson Hastings pursuing his own high kick hunted down Gareth O'Brien, the Australian import living up to his bad-boy image as he copped O'Brien with a massive swinging arm to the jaw, Robert Hicks dishing out his 4th and final card of the game, a red for Hastings and an appointment with the Monday match review panel, Salford seeing the game out 28-16 winners.


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0