Women's Super League Update

Leeds Rhinos 22 - 23 Wigan Warriors

The Rhinos opened the scoring early on, Maddison Laverick crossing in the opening minutes when she was left unattended on the left wing, Hill converting. The Rhinos extending their lead through captain, Lois Forsell, Laverick breaking, offloading to Hanna Butcher who found Leeds rake to score, Hill unable to convert. Wigan quickly responded, Walsh finding Rachel Thompson with a looping pass to put her over, rapidly followed by Greenfield diving over from dummy half, Michelle Davis converting Greenfield's try to make it 10-10 at the half.

Wigan made the better start to the second 40, Foley's kick allowed to bounce out 35 metres from the Rhinos line and earning Wigan possession, the Warriors making it count as Claire Hall scrambled over to give Wigan the lead for the first time in the game. Back to back penalties would bring Wigan's next points, a backshot from right to left creating space for Alison Burrows to dart through, 18-10. Leeds enforcer, Rhiannion Marshall, charging the Wigan line and coming up with points, Marshall converting her own try after an injury to kicker Courtney Hill. Wigan's short kick off once more working wonders, Wigan coming up with the ball before a quick line shift to Rachel Thompson, the centre shaking free of the would be tackler to extend Wigan's lead, the conversion missed but quickly subsidized by a Gemma Walsh drop goal to move Wigan to a 23-16 lead. Caitlin Beevers would breathe life into the game when the 16 year old fullback stepped back inside a moving Wigan line, catching them on the backfoot and grounding, Marshall converting once more but Leeds unable to find a killer blow in a 23-22 thriller.

Bradford Bulls 28-16 Castleford Tigers

The opening 30 minutes were an arm wrestle of epic proportions, a game played outside of both team's 20 metre lines, neither side giving their opponent an inch on the battlefield. Castleford the first to buckle 9 minutes from halftime, Leah Jones given too much space on the wing as she shook her opposite number to score the opener, the try brilliantly converted by Jones out wide. Castelford striking back almost immediatley, the Tigers going to their left wing in Ellie Lamb, Hepworth uanble to convert, only for Bradford to retake he lead 1 minute before the end of the half, Jones on hand to convert as the Bulls took a 10-4 lead into the sheds.
Bradford would make a quick start to the second half, the Bulls going under the sticks from close range, the try then converted, 16-4. Castleford would claw their way back into the contest, Jasmine Rowley with a huge carry before Grace Field crept over for the Tigers, Hepworth converting to make it 16-10. Soon Bradford would move even further out of sight, Amy Hardcastle with one of her trademark bullish runs breaking the Tigers line, Jones' kick moving Bradford to a 12 point lead with 20 minutes left to play. Bradford would as good as put the game to bed just minutes later, Stacey Greenwood walking through a hole left by an over committed defender, the kick slotted once more by Jones as Bradford held a 28-10 with 15 minutes left to play. The Tigers woes were further deepened when Georgia Roche was sin binned after a scuffle, it wasn't all doom and gloom for the Tigers, a moment of magic from Tara Stanley sending Odsal into disarray, the fullback collecting a towering kick, stepping past the onrushing Bradford defense and crossing in the corner for a massive return on the kick for a try, Stanley then converting, unfortunately for the Tigers the game too far gone as Bradford ran out 28-16 winners.

Featherstone Rovers 10-46 St Helens

No report available


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0