Robins Suffer Defeat In Familiar Arena

Salford claimed a convincing win in their opener to the 2018 Qualifiers, a 28-10 win over Hull KR in a dominant showing.

Hull KR opened strongly, playing with their usual unpredictable style, Todd Carney attempting a 40/20 inside 4 minutes, the kick pulling up just short of the 20 and Salford given a taste of what to expect in the game.

Salford would be given the first opportunity to put points on the board in the 7th minute, Ryan Lannon breaking 30 metres from halfway to put the Reds within 20 metres of the line, a high shot then giving Chamberlain a chance to give Salford an easy 2 point lead, Chamberlain skewing the kick and Salford instead receiving possession from a 20 metre drop out.

The Robins seemed disjointed and panicky with ball in hand close to the Salford line, making poor game management decisions, opting to run the ball short side on the 5th, the Rovers caught in possession and handing the ball to Salford, then Crooks repeating the same act of madness jst 4 minutes later to the same effect.

Salford's execution was far from on the money too, Chamberlain splitting the Hull KR down the wing and surging downfield, Chamberlain attempting to find Bibby on the wing, who unbeknownst to him had come back inside as he was running out of space, the ball finding only an advertising hoarding as another good chance went to waste.

The Red Devils were starting to turn the heat up on the Rovers defense, another big break putting them within striking distance of the line, Hull KR's scrambling defense keeping the score at 0 by slowing the play and Salford forcing a goal line drop out, as Adam Quinlan was forced to run a teasing grubber dead.

Adam Quinlan's brain explosion would gift Salford two points, the Rovers fullback pushing the Salford man at the play the ball, a soft penalty but a penalty none the less, Chamberlain making no mistake this time as Salford opened the scoring after 18 minutes of play.

The visitors wouldn't have to wait much longer for their next points, Salford needing just 3 tackles in the next set before striking again, Flanagan busting through the middle of the Robins defense and sprinting clear, Evalds up in support the benefactor of the break as he raced home after Flanagan drew the attention of Adam Quinlan to set him away, Chamberlain missing his second kick of the night, 6-0 Salford.

The Rovers misery would be further compiled by a clear cut try scoring opportunity going begging, Donaldson attempting to dart over from dummy half on the Salford line, the Hull KR forward losing the ball as he tried to pick it up.

Hull KR would finally get their big opportunity of the game, a penalty piggybacking them down to the Salford 30 metre line, the Rovers then on the last tackle scoring, Quinlan kicking to the corner and finding Craig Hall, Tickle unable to convert from the touchline, 6-4 with 33 minutes played.

Halftime coming at the right time for the Robins, Salford winning a penalty and begging their march downfield, the attack brought to an end on the 3rd tackle 30 metres out by the halftime siren.

Salford would strike the first blow of the second half, a penalty for holding on too long after the tackle resulting in a further two point deficit, Hastings knocking the kick over to move Salford to an 8-4 lead.

Salford would turn defence into attack in the 55th minute, Salford spilling the ball on their own 20 and handing Rovers possession close to the line, Atkin's  pass at the line too inviting for Robert Lui picking the pass off on his own 10 metre line and galloping 90 metres into wide open space to score under the posts, Hastings kicking once more, 14-4 Salford.

An arm wrestle would begin as Salford looked to kill the game off, while the Robins searched desperately for a pulse as heads began to drop.

In play decisions were slowly but surely putting all end to any hope of a resurgent comeback, the Rovers running the ball on the last with nothing on 20 metres from the Salford line and knocking on in a good position in the very next set, frustration written all over the face of an onlooking Tim Sheens.

With 15 minutes left to play the games' full stop would be added, Hastings catching Greenwood out with a bobbling kick 10 metres from his own line, Lussick taking advantage of poor goal line defence as he scored on debut for the Red Devils, Hastings adding the extras, 20-4.

Errors and ill discipline would cost Hull KR another 2 points, spilling the short kick off and then giving away a penalty for taking a chaser off the ball, Hastings adding another 2 points on the scoreboard, 22-4.

The Rovers would claw one back, Shaun Lunt forcing himself over from dummy half to close the, twisting his way past 3 hapless Salford defenders to squeeze in next to the posts, Tickle adding the extras from next to the posts, 22-10 with 5 to play.

Salford would have the last laugh, Josh Wood evading two KR tacklers and casually putting the ball down, Chamberlain converting as Salford put a convincing win over Hull KR at a score of 28-10.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call