Woods Spoils Bennie's 500th

Wigan retained second spot on the Super League table after a win in the most dramatic fashion, a last minute Josh Woods drop goal sealing the win for the Cherries over Warrington.

Wigan would have the first chance of the game and subsequently lose it, a big break down the left by Liam Marshall would cut Warrington open but the Warriors would drop the ball a play later and allow Warrington off the hook.

It would be Wigan who would truly have their goal line defence tested in the opening exchanges, a high kick spilled by Liam Marshall, forcing Wigan to defend another set of six on their own line. Wigan did manage to hold out and the Wolves would leave the Warriors 10 metre line empty handed.

Wigan would be rewarded for all their hard work in defence on the next set, first a big Liam Farrell carry followed by a Sam Tomkins grubber would earn them a repeat set, then, a sweeping line move would put Tom Davies into the corner from a Sam Tomkins pass to open the scoring, Tomkins converting to make it 6-0 with 13 minutes gone.

Warrington would find a response 5 minutes later, a long passing move opening a hole for Toby King to steam through for a try out on the right, Warrington unable to convert from 10 metres in from the right touchline, 6-4.

A Warrington error would be the source of the next points of the game, Ratchford knocking on inside his own 40 to hand Wigan possession. Wigan grinding out the set before the breakthrough coming from one of the youngsters given a chance, Liam Paisley muscling his way over the line from close range for his first ever Wigan try, Tomkins giving the Warriors an extend lead at 12-4.

Errors in unfortunate spots would become the theme of the closing stages of the first half, Wigan the first to spill the ball close to the Warrington line then Warrington doing exactly the same 2 sets later, bringing the sides into the sheds with the score remaining at 12-4 in favour of the Warriors.

Wigan were clearly the team more prepared for the second 40 but just lacking the finishing touch, firstly a Tomkins 40/20 attempt would pull up just short of it's desired target, then, 3 Warriors players would force Tyrone Roberts back behind his own line to give Wigan possession back, the Warriors unable to turn possession and field position into points.

Warrington would break the deadlock with 20 minutes left to play, Tom Lineham finding his way to the corner for the Wolves to make it a four point game and all to play, Ratchford once more failing to convert from out wide.

The emotion of the game would start to spill over in the final 10 minutes, Tyrone Roberts with a dangerous tackle that resulted in a 26 man pile up , the referees defusing the situation and calling both captains to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Just as Wigan had done to them in the first half, Warrington would punish a Wigan error. A familiar face scoring for Warrington out-wide to level the game up, Josh Charnley squeezing into the corner to give Stefan Ratchford an opportunity to potentially win the game, the England unable to convert from the wing once more leaving it 12-12 with 2 minutes left to play.

Warrington's Tyrone Roberts would be first to try their luck shooting for the sticks, Tyrone Roberts dragging his drop goal attempt wide of the sticks, however, Wigan's Josh Woods was on target on the hooter, despite the pressure, to give Wigan a 13-12 win.

A touch of class from the Warriors at the end of the game, forming a guard of honour for Ben Westwood on his 500th game and presenting him with a bottle of wine.


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0