Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call

The Rhinos would claim their first Super League point in 9 games after holding out for a draw against Wakefield, the Rhinos dismayed by the losing out to a somewhat 50/50 call that has divided the Rugby League community and brought back up the keep or ditch the on field decision?

Leeds made a confident start, limiting Wakefield's metres and looking like they had opened the scoring through Mitch Garbutt, collecting a spilled kick, the video referee deeming that Brad Singleton had taken out the man contesting the ball and Leeds were denied inside 2 minutes.

The Rhinos would not be denied 2 minutes later, Liam Sutcliffe offloading as he was on his way over the sideline, Myler and Moon moving the ball the width of the pitch before Hall found himself on the overlap to register the first legitimate try of the game, Sutcliffe nailing the kick from the sideline.

Wakefield would begin to turn the screw around the 10 minute mark, Trinity forcing a repeat set and setting up camp in the Leeds 10, the Rhinos conceding a penalty to refresh the tackle count and give Wakefield another crack at the line. Wakefield unable to turn possession into points as Johnstone spilled the cross-field to give Leeds the let off.

Wakefield would capitalize on on some sloppy defending, Bill Tupou with a huge line break, splitting two defenders, shrugging off another and then slipping past Jack Walker by slowing and rapidly accelerating past the young fullback, Hampshire leveling the scores up at 6-6.

Errors would be rife in the next 10 minutes of play, the next try coming from a Wakefield error, the ball going to ground from the play the ball, Myler reacting the fastest and toeing the ball forward for himself, the Rhinos halfback dropping on the ball and sliding over for a try, Sutcliffe on hand to convert his second of the game and give the Rhinos a 12-6 lead.

The Rhinos going back to back, with the assistance of a penalty for holding down, Leeds working the width of the pitch again and Hall once more on the end of it, this time slipping the ball back inside for Ash Handley to cut in and crash over with a man on his back, Sutcliffe going 3 for 3 with the boot out on the left again.

Pauli Pauli would be given the benefit of the doubt as the referee deemed the ball was stolen instead of lost. The penalty putting Wakefield in range of the Leeds line and they would take full advantage of the field position, Justin Horo barging his way over from 5 metres out, Hampshire adding the extras to make it 18-12, that's how the first half would end.
Wakefield would blow their first chance of the second half, Pauli Pauli 5 metres from the Rhinos line adjudged to have pushed the marker and moved off the mark.

It would be the Rhinos who would register the first points of the second half, a penalty the source of the points for the Rhinos, Sutcliffe going 4 for 4 from 40 metres out to take Leeds to an 8 point lead.

Brad Dwyer had been sensational for the Rhinos all night and he very nearly had a reward for his efforts, a Richie Myler dab through coming loose and Dwyer diving over the top of the Trinity defender to try and ground the ball, instead only able to head the ball out over the dead ball line.

Unable to register points at one end, Brad Dwyer would then turn try saver, the hooker alert to the danger of an inside ball for Max Jowitt and cutting him down in his tracks to save a certain 4 points.

The Rhinos still holding a slender 8 point lead into the final 10 minutes, that wouldn't last too long though as the on field decision would once more hit the headlines, Joel Moon losing his footing as Kyle Wood raced through and got something on the ball, the decision referred upstairs as a try and the video referee unable to overturn the decision, the try standing and Hampshire kicking Trinity within 2 points of Leeds with 5 minutes left to play.

Wakefield would then be handed an opportunity to level the score with 6 minutes left to play, Leeds ill discipline giving Hampshire a shot at the sticks from 30 metres out, the kick dispatched and the scores all level.

Both Ryan Hampshire would take their opportunity to try and close out the game, Hampshire skimming the post and Miller hitting the inside of the upright and bouncing back in field, Leeds holding out to take their first Super League point in 9 games.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours