Knights beat woeful Eels in Mitchell Pearce's return

Image rights -
Newcastle Knights 18 defeat Parramatta Eels 16.
Match Review.
The injury riddled Newcastle Knights hosted the Parramatta Eels who are desperate to avoid the wooden spoon and continue the Knights misery.
It was the ideal start for Eels when on their very first set, they were given two penalties to march them downfield and put them on the front foot. Only a few tackles in the Eels took a quick 6-0 lead when some excellent footwork by big boy Sio Vave allowed him to step past two defender and go storming over under the posts.
The Eels were able to back up their quick start with a long range try by the right edge for the Eels. A bit of footwork, agility and speed was what Jarryd Hayne used to step through the defence and fly down field before finding his winger Beven French in support. Drawing the fullback in, French then put the chip over the top for halfback Mitchel Moses to dive on and give the Eels a 10-0 lead after 10 minutes.
Newcastle were able to stop the riot with some luck going against the Eels. Fullback Connor Watson dived on a loose ball in goal when the Eels fullback Clint Gutherson fumbled and lost the ball off a bomb. That was where the game turned right around though. Both teams spent the next 20 minutes making error after error to slow the game right down, in particular the Eels, who made a countless amount of errors in their own half inviting the Knights into an attacking position again and again.
Finally after the continuous sloppy play by the Eels, Newcastle were able to make Parramatta pay and take them into the sheds level with a try in the final minutes. An overlap on a right side attack led to winger Shaun Kenny-Dowell going over.
The Eels started the second half how they finished the first, inviting the Knights into their half. Penalties once again showing the disciplinary issues within the Eels team, and the Knights were able to take full advantage of it by taking the lead through returning halfback Mitchell Pearce when he ran off a short ball by Chris Heighington to score under the posts.
After a 16 point scoring run by the Knights, Parramatta was able to pull a rabbit out of the hat and level the scores once again out of nowhere. With the constant errors and penalties going against the Eels, their centre Jarryd Hayne stood up again, working his magic before sending half Corey Norman storming down field to score. However the Eels surrendered the lead once again when the gave away a penalty allowing Ken Sio to take the 2 and give the Knights a slim lead with 20 minutes remaining.
The final 20 minutes saw the game pick up again with some incredible attacking sets from both teams. The Eels in particular were looking desperate to score, with many opportunities coming their way but just not being able to convert as the Knights held on to a slim 2 point lead. Despite a last ditch effort which saw the video ref come into play, the Knights were able to hold off the fast finishing Eels to grab the 2 competition points.
Newcastle Knights:
14' Connor Watson (Try)
15' Ken Sio (Conversion)
36' Shaun Kenny-Dowell (Try)
46' Mitchell Pearce (Try)
48' Ken Sio (Conversion)
60' Ken Sio (Penalty Goal)
Parramatta Eels:
4' Siosaia Vave (Try)
5' Clint Gutherson (Converson)
10' Mitchell Moses (Try)
54' Corey Norman (Try)
56' Clint Gutherson (Converson)


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0