Huddersfiled Finalise Revival With Win At Cas

A poor start by the Giants would end in a a really strong finish to see them avoid the bottom 4, the game itself almost a mirrors image of Huddersfield's season in review.

The Tigers would set about turning the screw early on, a probing McShane kick forced to be turned dead by the Huddersfield fullback, Jordan Rankin, the Giants only able to delay the inevitable as Jamie Ellis attacked the line and dived through a gap to open the scoring for Castleford, Ellis adding his own extras.

Huddersfield's opening 10 minutes would go from bad to worse as the Tigers scored back to back tries, McShane once more hassling the Giants defence, creating the hole for Jake Trueman, the youngster able to lighlty jog over and put the ball down behind the posts, Ellis going 2 for 2 to give Cas a 12-0 lead.

Huddersfield began to feel their way into the game, Brough putting a spiraling bomb into Greg Eden's corner, Eden unable to take the ball and losing it, Huddersfield unable to do anything with the possession this time though as Aaron Murphy would thrown a forward pass for Ta'ai. The Giants break would come just a minute later, moving the ball from right to left creating the space for Jermaine McGilvary, the big winger powering into the corner, Brough converting from the touchline.

A penalty for contact with the head would put the Giants 20 metres from the Tigers line, Leroy Cudjoe's delicate chip on the last forcing a goal line drop out, the Tigers now ready to do their 3rd consecutive set on their own line. Jermaine McGilvary bagging his second after a spree of offloads and quick hands put him into the corner, Brough unable to convert.

Danny Brough had seen a weakness in the Tigers back's ability to take his tricky spiraling kicks, QLT the latest to put ball to ground, setting Huddersfield up 20 metres from the Tigers again. A penalty under the posts would then set Danny Brough up with a chance to level the score, making no mistake with the boot to make it 12-12 with 28 minutes gone.

Penalties leading to points was becoming a common theme in this game, Darnell McIntosh offside from a Turner kick, the Tigers then going down the other end of the field and scoring, Junior Moors the man to give Castleford the lead 5 minutes before the half, the front rower forcing his way over from close range, Ellis keeping his 100% record for the first half.

Castleford would switch off defensively with seconds left to play of the first half, Lee Gaskell spotting the hole left by a slow moving line and accelerating through to score for the Giants, Brough leveling the score at the half and leaving the sides all square for the next 40.

Huddersfield were clearly inspired by Simon Woolford's half time team talk, taking just 3 minutes to open their account for the second half, Danny Brough's kicking game once more undoing the Tigers defence as Leroy Cudjoe raced through to touch down, the try given the green light by the video referee as Cudjoe got to the ball just before it went dead, Brough unable to convert.

The Giants had clearly found their rhythm in the second half, Darnell McIntosh on the receiving end of a slick line move from the Giants, the young winger showing a clean pair of heels to beat the man opposite to the corner and extend the Giants lead, Brough unable to convert as Huddersfield held a 26-18 lead.

Jake Trueman would lose the ball close to his own line and set the Giants into attack mode once more, the Tigers line holding firm before Jordan Rankin bulleted a looping pass to Jermaine McGilvary, the England international having enough time to leap and collect the ball before racing into the corner, Brough unable to add the extras as Huddersfield raced to a 30-18 lead with less than half an hour left to play.

The Tigers would go close to reducing the gap on the score board, Eden diving for the line and grounding the ball, the video referee reviewing and clearly spotting the foot in touch after some desperate scrambling defence from the Giants to deny him. Danny Brough then going down the other end and adding another 2 points to the margin after a penalty, 32-18 Giants.

It would be the Tigers turn to deny the Giants a try, Jordan Rankin again spotting the gap in the line and looking to get the ball to ground, Rankin doing so but failing to control the ball in the process and knocking on over the line.

Greg Eden would be denied for the second time in the game by the video referee, in the dying moments of the game the dynamic winger diving into the corner again, the video referee spotting the separation between hand and ball and Eden denied by his own hands, Huddersfield holding out to register a 32-18 win and secure their spot in the top 8.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call