Brisbane Blitz Beats Penrith

The Brisbane Broncos and the Penrith Panthers would meet in the second game of Friday night football up in Brisbane, with both teams looking to shoot up away from the edge of the 8 with the Raiders loss earlier in the night. Both teams were coming off losses last week, and both were looking at changes coming into the game.

Brisbane made mass positional changes, with Jamayne Isaako moving to fullback as Jordan Kahu moves to the wing and Darius Boyd went to centre. Joe Ofahengaue came into the front row, with Matt Lodge and David Fifita coming ont the bench. Pat Mago drops out, while for Penrith Jarome Luai would move into fullback for the injured Dallin Watene-Zelesniak.

It would be an absolute bloodbath in the first half for the Broncos, slicing and dicing their way through the Penrith defense like it was an under 13's team. Tevita Pangai Jnr would score twice in the first 15 minutes, the first try coming off the back of some great work from Sam Thaiday. His second try, a burrowing effort from close range with 5 Panthers around him, would be after a great sequence of kicks by the Brisbane halves led to a James Roberts footrace and try.

With a penalty goal around the 19th minute mark to make it 20-0, Corey Oates would stroll over off a scrum play to make it 26-0 after just 24 minutes. A tired Penrith team would try to make something happen but they could not get anything going.

A great corner kick by Anthony Milford would bounce off Christian Crichton's shoulder and Jarome Luai, who would hurt himself in the process. That live ball would be cleaned up by Darius Boyd, who would score under the black dot and Isaako would make it 32-0 after 34 minutes. That's how it would end at half time, with the Panthers in absolute disarray.

Penrith would score twice after half time to bring the gap back to 20, first with a lovely chip kick from Cleary to find Waqa Blake after some expansive play on last before Josh Mansour would finish off a lovely play through the Penrith left side. That momentum would end as Kodi Nikorima would intercept a James Maloney pass (seen that before) and run away to score for a 38-12 lead.

Both teams would come close at both ends for a while, with nothing to show. Isaah Yeo went close for Penrith, but it was all too little too late after that crazy first thirty minutes. Tyrone Peachey would slice through to score with 11 minutes to go to make the scoreline a little more respectable, but Brisbane would have the last laugh as Kodi Nikorima managed his second intercept try of the night to make it 44-18. Matt Lodge would then raise the half-century as he scored to finish it up at 50-18.

Fun fact, no team has gone on to win the title after conceding 50. Sorry Penrith fans.



Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call