12 Man Catalans Salvage Draw Against Warrington

The Catalans Dragons managed to steal a draw in the last 10 minutes of the game to take 1 point a way from a game not many expected them to take anything from, Warrington going close to taking the full 2 points on offer in the dying seconds.

Catalans made a bright start to the game, a former Warrington man delivering the first blow to the Wolves hopes as Benjamin Jullien squeezed his way through a gap inside 6 minutes to open the scoring, Drinkwater on hand to convert the extras.

Warrington were chipping away slowly but surely at the Catalans line, Toby King coming close to collecting a Kevin Brown kick, denied only by Fouad Yaha who just managed to outjump the Warrington wide man.

Their break eventually came in the 16th minute through Bryson Goodwin, Warrington spotting a gap in behind the Catalans defence, Kevin Brown gruberring at an angle into the in-goal area for the the former New Zealand International, Roberts leveling the score off the boot to take it to 6-6.

Warrington's lead would be short lived as three minutes later Josh Drinkwater would be given a chance to put Catalans ahead once more, the Dragons playmaker slotting the kick from 30 metres out.

The game had quickly descended into points ping pong, as quick as Catalans had hit the front, Stefan Ratchford released Josh Charnley on the wing, Charnley putting on the afterburners to motor away from his opposite man to win the 25 metre foot race to the corner, Goodwin unable to convert.

Ratchford would have a hand in yet another try 5 minutes later, the Warrington fullback dabbing the kick in behind the Dragons defence, try scoring sensation Harvey Livett marking his return to action with a try and picking up where he left off, Roberts extending Wire's lead, 16-8.

Catalans would close the gap to two points 10 minutes before the end of the half, veteran hooker Michael McIllorum spotting the gap from dummy half as he has done so many times through his career, muscling his way over to ground the ball, Drinkwater taking the scoreline to 16-14.

Kenny Edwards would cost his side 2 points with 5 minutes left to play, the mid season import penalised for a high shot, Roberts more than happy to push Warrington to an 18-14 lead.

 With a minute left to play of the half Catalans would send Warrington into the sheds with a bitter taste in their mouth, the defence switching off for just a second as Drinkwater put tony Gigot over after an intelligent kick, Drinkwater then giving the Dragons the lead with the conversion to make it 20-18 at the half.

Catalans discipline would cost them their lead 5 minutes into the second half, David Mead obstructing Bryson Goodwin close to the tryline, Roberts kicking the penalty once more to level the score at 20-20. 8 minutes later a Tyrone Roberts penalty from 15 metres out would enable Warrington to recapture the lead, discipline now slowly but surely playing the Dragons out of this game.

Catalans would give themselves an uphill battle for the last 10 minutes of the game, Mickael Simon deemed to have kneed Josh Charnley in the back of the leg, the referee sending Simon to the sin bin for the final 10 minutes of the game. This clearly hadn't impacted the Dragons too much as 2 minutes later they were level, Drinkwater notching the penalty from 10 metres out, 8 minutes to play, 22-22.

Gigot would have the first attempt at the sticks, dragging the drop goal attempt wide, the Josh Charnley would dive into the corner and looked to have won the game for Warrington, the referee checking and chalking off the wingers effort. Tyrone Roberts must have thought he had an opporunity to make up for last week's drop goal miss against Wigan, instead he was left feeling like it was groundhog day as he missed for the second week running.

Yet more late drama as Josh Drinkwater's effort would drop just under the bar, going agonizingly close to stealing both points, then Harvey Livett racing away looking like he had won the game, until the whistle was blown and play was pulled back for a forward pass, denying Warrington and closing the game out as a 22-22 draw after a hectic first half.


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0