Wakefield Make Saints Sweat In Tense Affair

Wakefield would be the first team to have their defensive nerve tested, Regan Grace trying to take on Mason Caton-Brown in the corner, the Wakefield winger doing well to prevent the Welsh international crossing.

The Saints winger would not be denied a second time just 8 minutes later, Lomax to Barba, then on to Percival who played Grace into the corner for the games opening points, Richardson kicking the extras.

5 minutes after pulling ahead Saints would unpick their hard work in a moment of madness, throwing an offload just feet from their own line, Johnstone given a gift of a try, Finn on target with the boot to level things up.

Jonny Lomax would edge Saints back ahead in the 25th minute, Percival cutting inside on the last tackle and putting Lomax through, Richardson once more on hand to open the gap to 6 points.

Wakefield were slowly but surely beginning to become overwhelmed with the task at hand, Saints getting nearly every team members' hands on the ball before Richardson eventually stepping through the line to score, Richardson kicking the 2 and Saints held an 18-6 lead 5 minutes from the half.

Richardson would catch a high shot for his troubles a minute from the end of the half, Saints taking the tactical decision to wind down the clock by taking the 2, Richardson scoring his 10th point of the night to send Saints to the team talks with a 20-6 lead.

Chris Chester must have read his side the riot act over the interval as Wakefield came out firing in the second 40. Ryan Hampshire taking a short ball at the line after just 3 minutes, strolling over to score Finn adding the extras to make it 20-12.

Wakefield would go close through Pauli Pauli but in the next set Jacob Miller, the playmaker collecting the high kick and grounding, Finn putting Trinity within two of the Saints.

Mason Caton-Brown would then give Wakefield the lead for the first time in the games' 55 minute existence, crashing over from dummy half, Finn unable to convert and Wakefield holding a 22-20 lead.
Tom Johnstone would grab his second of the game in similar fashion to Caton-Brown, going over from close range out of dummy half on the flanks, Finn hitting the post with his effort to put an end to Wakefield's 15 minute, 20 point raid on the Saints line.

Saints would finally get some ball time and would strike back, Lomax tackled on his own goal line, the ball then shifted left to Percival who set away Grace for his second of the game in spectacular style, Richardson unable to convert, 26-24 Wakefield with 11 minutes on the clock.

The resident custodian would reclaim St Helens lead back with less than 10 minutes to go, James Roby flying onto the pass after yet more improvised play, Richardson kicking the goal to set the game up for a tight finish.

St Helens had successfully ground down their wearying opponents and would deliver the killer blow from a goal line drop out, Zeb Taia forcing his way over from 10 metres out, Richardson unable to convert, 34-26.

A little bit of late drama would spice the final minute up, Mark Percival intercepting and scoring under the posts, the try reviewed and ruled out, then less than 30 seconds after Percival was denied by the video referee, Reece Lyne was given the green light for a try of his own for Wakefield, Finn missing the kick and Wakefield left with 44 seconds to find something to take from the game.

Saints holding out and winning the game 34-30.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call