Late Drama Denies Dragons Points

Simon Woolford would get the desired response from his players in his first game in charge of the wayward Giants,as Huddersfield picked up a 26-25 Win over Catalans.

The Giants wouldn't get off to the best of starts, first earning a penalty to start deep in Dragons territory but the chance going begging, then Catalans going downfield to open the scoring through Brayden Williams, the Dragon's centre the fastest to react to a grubber kick and ground the ball, Drinkwater adding the extras to make it 6-0 after 6 minutes.

It didn't look like things were set to get better anytime soon as the Dragons would score for the second time inside the opening 10 minutes of the game, Duport collecting a Josh Drinkwater kick outwide before Drinkwater would convert from the wing to make it 12-0.

Catalans would begin to ramp up the pressure again, a deep kick forced to be turned dead by Jordan Rankin and giving the Dragons another set of six, from the resulting possession the try would once more come from a kick, David Mead leaping highest to collect and score, Drinkwater going 3 from 3 with the boot to make it 18-0.

The Giants would get on the board on after 22 minutes, Kruise Leeming earning the Giants a penalty to put them within striking distance of the line. Alex Mellor then set through a gap next to the posts to put Huddersfield right back into the game, Oliver Russell kicking the extras to make it 18-6.
Huddersfield's hard work would be undone just 5 minutes later, Turner knocking on close so his line handing the ball back to the Dragons, who would then earn themselves a goal line drop out to get a repeat set. Remi Casty would finish an off the cuff play involving multiple offload, Casty then going under the posts and Drinkwater kicking the goal to push the Dragons out to a 24-6 lead.

Huddersfield would begin a fight back at the close of the half, Darnell McIntosh the first to score as he found himself with some space on the wing, McIntosh then stepping back inside to dive over, Russell unable to convert to make it 24-10.

Then 3 minutes from the half Jermaine McGillvary would reduce the deficit further, Leroy Cudjoe getting his arm loose into the tackle to set away the England international who raced away to score, Russell unable to convert from the wing to send the sides into the sheds at 24-14.

It would be an error riddled start to the second half, Catalans knocking on and then a forward pass would cost them the opportunity to put the game further out off reach of the Giants.

Huddersfield would make the most of possession in the second half and after 55 minutes they would break down the Dragons' defence, firstly forcing a goal line drop out then, Adam O'Brien racing out of dummy half and grounding the ball behind his head to put the Giants firmly back in the frame, Russell unable to convert to make it 24-18.

The Giants would later reap the rewards of strong defence, Jermaine McGillvary shooting out of the line to snatch a Dragons pass out of the air and 80 metres to put the Giants back on level terms after Russell successfully converted the try to make it 24-24 with 15 minutes left to play.

The Dragons would be the first team to shoot for the 1 pointer, Gigot hitting the post with 10 minutes left, however, Gigot wouldn't miss 5 minutes later and would put Catalans out in front.

With 3 minutes on the clock the Giants were gifted 2 points after a penalty, Russell making it look easy from 20 metres out to snatch the lead back for the Giants.

A late twist would see the Dragons nearly steal the win as Benjamin Jullien touched down, the video referee checking the grounding and confirmed Jullien had knocked on and ruled they try out to give the Giants a 26-25 Win.


Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call