Giants Hold Off Wakefield Comeback

From the word go the Giants looked the stronger of the two sides, strong attacking sets, good defense and repeat sets giving Huddersfield a good foot hold for the rest of the game. It would be the Giants who would open the scoring in the 11th minute, Aaron Murphy with number 5 on his back playing in the second row came bursting onto an Ukuma Ta'ai pass after a break to open the scoring, Brough converting to make it 6-0.

Wakefield looked to have hit back soon after, Mason Caton-Brown crashing into the corner for Trinity, on review Jermaine McGilvary doing just enough to get him over the touchline and prevent a certain try.

Huddersfield would extend their lead 8 minutes later through Adam O'Brien, finding a gap close to the line and scooting over from dummy half to give the Giants a 12 point lead after another successful Danny Brough conversion.

If Aaron Murphy wasn't scoring tries he was setting them up, a barn storming run down the left from the Giants man to set away Jake Mamo, Mamo too fast for the covering defense and ground close to the sticks, Brough going 3 for 3 with the boot, 18-0 with 23 minutes played.

Wakefield would finally break the Giants line 10 minutes before the half, first forcing a repeat set out of Lee Gaskell, who was forced to palm the ball behind. Wakefield would force the agenda and on the 5th they finally had some luck go their way, Ashurst's grubber somehow finding it's way back to him for the Trinity forward to crash over out on the left, Liam Finn adding the extras to make it 18-6.
The Giants would give themselves a slightly larger cushion to go into the half with, first Brough hitting a 40/20 and the Giants racing to pack the scrum, quickly followed by Brough deciding to take the 1 pointer right on the stroke of the half, sending the sides in at 19-6.

The Giants wouldn't get off to the best of starts in the second half, Huddersfield hooker Kruise Leeming sent to cool off for 10 minutes after persistent offences, it wouldn't take long for Wakefield to make the numbers count, a probing attacking kick setting up nicely for Ben Jones-Bishop to score and put Trinity right back in the contest, Finn adding the extras out on the left to make it 19-12.

Wakefield would be too quick off the line and would be pulled for offside to relieve the Giants of pressure and piggyback them to the halfway line, Huddersfield capitalizing on the field possesion as Mamo created the space for Darnell McIntosh dived over acrobatically to stretch the Giants lead, Brough keeping his 100% record intact and the Giants leading 25-12 into the last 30 minutes.

Wakefield would respond 7 minutes later, Pauli Pauli finding himself in space out-wide before setting away live wire winger, Ben Jones-Bishop to grab his second of the game, Finn nudging the kick over to put Wakefield back within 7 points of the Giants.

Huddersfield looked like they had put the game near beyond doubt with 10 minutes left to play, Jordan Rankin going through a hole to ground the ball, on review the gap he came through was created by an obstruction, letting Trinity off the hook.

Reece Lyne set the game up for a tense finish when he crossed with 7 minutes left to play, a looping line move find it's way to Lyne who crossed in the corner for Wakefield, Finn missing his first kick off the night meaning Wakefield had to score again to win the game with the score at 25-22. The Giants would hold out for the win and move to within 1 point of 8th spot.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours