Dragons win big against defending premiers

Image Rights - NRL.com

St George Illawarra Dragons 34 defeat Melbourne Storm 14.

Match Review.
The game of the year so far, and boy wasn’t it one hell of a match up! 
The game started off with some high intensity football as expected. Straight off the kick off, Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona dropped the ball giving the Dragons immediate attacking position and momentum. The Dragons were unable to take advantage of that set, but the pressure remained on the Storm and a penalty goal to Dragons half Gareth Widdop opened up the scoring for the game before another offensive set on the Storm line resulted in Ben Hunt sending Euan Aitken over for the first try of the game. Another penalty goal by Gareth Widdop gave the Dragons a solid 10-0 lead after 15 minutes. The start they would of been hoping for. The next Storm set resulted in a penalty for the Storm due to a dangerous hit on the kicker. On just the second tackle of the first full set in the Dragons half, the Storm went through the hands to send winger Josh Addo-Carr over. 
The following 10 minutes of the game was some of the most scrappy footy I’ve ever seen! Both teams were dropping balls all over the place and it was as messy as messy can get. On top of that, it was one of the most bizarre refereeing performances to date. With the sloppy game being enough to confuse us all, the delayed calls between the refs made it even worse for us fans as the commentators were left speechless when the Storm were denied a try due to the play the ball resulting in a Dragon being offside. The call was not only delayed, but the advantage was not allowed to be played which resulted in the Storm losing out on a guaranteed 4 pointer! The final 5 minutes of the half saw more sloppy football before another Gareth Widdop penalty goal to give the Dragons a controversial 12-4 lead going into the sheds.
The second half started sensationally for the Dragons when on an attacking set, poor Cameron Smith copped an accidental hit in the man jewels which allowed Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes to dive over and extend the lead. Just five minutes later, the Dragons went through the hands to give centre Tim Lafai a beautiful diving try in the corner to extend their lead to 20 points with only half an hour remaining in the game.
The Storm were able to keep the game alive when a beautiful inside outside run by Cameron Munster gave him space to run which he finished off with a long pass to winger Josh Addo-Carr to go over for his fourth straight double. The game was officially deemed over with but when the Dragons centre Euan Aitkin found space through the middle men to take the Dragons lead back out to 22 points with roughly 15 minutes remaining. The Storm were able to finish the game off with a try in the corner for Josh Addo-Carr to grab a hat trick, but the Dragons were just simply to good today as they took home the 2 competition points.
Stonecold's Player Of The Game: Gareth Widdop (Dragons)
7' Gareth Widdop (Penalty Goal)
10' Euan Aitken (Try)
11' Gareth Widdop (Conversion)
15' Gareth Widdop (Penalty Goal)
38' Gareth Widdop (Penalty Goal)
42' Cameron McInnes (Try)
43' Gareth Widdop (Conversion)
48' Timoteo Lafai (Try)
49' Gareth Widdop (Conversion)
64' Aitken (Try)
65' Gareth Widdop (Conversion)
70' Gareth Widdop (Penalty Goal)
80' Gareth Widdop (Penalty Goal)

18' Josh Addo-Carr (Try)
62' Josh Addo-Carr (Try)
74' Josh Addo-Carr (Try)
76' Cameron Smith (Conversion)


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours