Warrington Take Down Tricky KR

Warrington were made to work for their 40-26 victory over the Robins, running away with the game in the last 20 minutes after KR made an incredible fightback in the opening 10 minutes of the second half.

The Robins would open the scoring after just 6 minutes, Shaw converting a penalty after Tyrone Roberts came up with a high shot on one of the Rovers pack.

The Rovers were building in intensity but were still lacking that clinical touch close to the line, Junior Vaivai's kick too strong, gifting Warrington a seven tackle set coming off their own 20.

Tom Lineham looked to have opened the scoring for the Wolves, the powerhouse winger diving for the line and putting the ball down, denied by a foot in touch and some good scrambling KR defence.

5 minutes later Warrington would make the scoresheet through Mike Cooper, the prop wrestling his way over from close range after a short ball at the line, Ratchford slotting the conversion to give Warrington a 6-2 lead.

Jack Hughes would grab a try for Warrington in the 25th minute, hitting a gap off a Kevin Brown short ball and striding through untouched to give Warrington an extended lead, Ratchford going 2 for 2 and Warrington now leading 12-2.

5 minutes later another forward would cross, Ben Currie on the receiving end of some quick hands as KR gave away a penalty to put them in striking distance, the England international making it count as he cut through the line untouched, Ratchford converting 18-2 with 31 minutes played.

Tyrone Roberts would give away another penalty for yet another high shot, putting KR just 30 metres from the Warrington line with 6 tackles to throw at them, the Wolves line refusing to bow to the pressure as Bryson Goodwin would return the KR attacking kick 50 metres before being chased down by Nick Scruton.

Another cheap penalty would see Warrington end the half attacking the rovers line once more, Rovers having to stop Clark from going over as he was held up in the closing stages of the half.

Wolves would get one more try before the end of the half in controversial fashion, Vaivai grounding the ball in goal before it came loose, then Atkin grounding it and it coming loose once more, then Hughes grounding it and after some consultation the try given as the second rower got his second of the game, Ratchford missing the kick as KR trail at the half 22-2.

KR would make the better start to the second half, Atkin hoisting a high kick that was left to bounce by Warrington fullback Stefan Ratchford, the ball sitting up nicely for Maurice Blair as he raced 20 metres to ground the ball, Shaw converting to put Rovers back in the game at 22-8 with 43 minutes gone.

The Robins would be piggy backed downfield by a penalty for obstruction, the Rovers taking full advantage of the field position as James Donaldson would benefit from a Ben Westwood error, McGuire's kick went up and Westwood simply palmed it into the path of the KR man to set the wheels in motion for a comeback, Shaw converting again to make it 22-14.

KR were now back within 2 points of the Wolves in 10 minutes after Vaivai used some great footwork to open the initial gap, backed up by Chris Atkin who raced away, Shaw converting and the score now at 22-20 with 50 minutes gone, the Robins scoring 18 points in 10 minutes.

For the next 10 minutes both teams would trade handling errors rather than points, Brown knocking on from a Roberts pass, Greenwood knocking on trying to get the arm loose and one final knock on just 2 metres from the line by Bryson Goodwin.

Warrington this time were assisted by silly penalties, an offside on the Warrington 20 then holding down would put the Wolves within 10 metres of the line, the ball going through the hand as Goodwin offloaded to Lineham as he ghosted through the gap left by the tacklers on Goodwin, Ratchford nailing the kick from the wing to give Warrington a 28-20 lead with 15 minutes to play.

The Wolves were looking dangerous again, offload after offload sent Warrington within 20 metres of the KR line once more, forcing a drop out, KR attempting to go short with it but only forcing more pressure on themselves, Currie's offload taking a deflection of a KR hand and straight to Ratchford to walk in and as good as seal the game with 10 minutes to play, adding the extras to make it 34-20.

Warrington veteran Ryan Atkins would get a try of his own after the Robins tried to run the ball on the last, Goodwin intercepting and racing 85 metres before being temporarily stopped by an ankle tap before getting rid of the ball and 4 or 5 passes before finding Atkins raced into the corner, Ratchford converting to make it 40-20.

Danny McGuire would give Hull KR the last laugh on the day, dummying at the line with a nice show and go as Super League's top tryscorer added to his growing legend, Shaw converting and the game finishing up 40-26 to Warrington.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0