Wakefield End 5 Game Losing Streak With Win Over Saints

Wakefield earned their first win in 5 games with a win over league leaders St Helens in a close and hard fought game, Wakefield leading from 13th minute and then slowly but surely losing their grip on the game and narrowly holding out.

Saints opened the scoring with their first attacking set of the game, Richardson splitting the Wakefield defence wide open and racing away before being pulled down just short of the line, a quick play the ball and a pass to Barba and on to Percival and Saints had the dream start, Richardson converting to make it 6-0.

Wakefield respond just 3 minutes later, a sweeping line move creating just enough space on the edges for Ben Jones-Bishop to sail into the corner to grab Wakefield's first try of the game, Liam Finn levelling the scores at 6-6.

Saints would be punished for not taking their chances, Percival making a good break before losing the ball in contact, Taia the penalised for interference and Wakefield were given the chance to setup just 10 meters from the Saints line, Reece Lyne set in by Jacob Miller as Wakefield took the lead, Finn converting to make it 12-6 in the 13th minute.

Wakefield would grab their 3rd try in 10 minutes as Justin Horo threw a convincing dummy to fool the defensive line and hit the gap between two Saints defenders, Finn adding the extras to make it 18-6 after 17 minutes.

Percival would come up with his second handling error of the day to give Wakefield good field position, Bill Tupou this time the man to punish Saints as Wakefield were running riot, the centre seeing off three defenders before finding his way to the line to give Wakefield a 22-6 lead after Finn missed his first kick of the game after 22 minutes.

Wakefield this time would be the team to come up with the error, Ben Jones-Bishop and Danny Kirmond unable to decide which one of them would catch the ball and subsequently the ball bouncing out on the 10 metre line, from there Saints would spread the ball and find Tommy Makinson on the wing to fly into the corner , Richardson missing from the wing and Wakefield holding a 22-10 lead in the 25th minute.

Wakefield would have to come up with a big defensive effort to prevent Ryan Morgan from crossing, the Saints centre looking deadest to go over in the corner before being dumped into touch.

Saints would bring the game back to an 8 point deficit on the stroke of the half, Mark Percival scoring his second of the game to put Saints on the front foot coming into the second half, Richardson unable to add the extras and Wakefield leading 22-14.

Saints would make a bright start to the second half, Danny Richardson coming up with a great 40/20 to put his side within striking distance of the Trinity line, from the resulting possession Luke Douglas would force his way over from close range, Richardson converting to make it 22-20.

Saints looked like they had recaptured the lead as they crossed the line, play pulled back for a forward pass and Wakefield allowed to breathe a sigh of relief.

Ryan Morgan would be denied for a second time, Bill Tupou once more the man to do it before racing downfield and setting Wakefield up in good field position.

St Helens would concede three consecutives penalties for high shots, Finn making the call to shoot for the sticks to push Wakefield out to a 4 point lead with 10 minutes to play.

Wakefield would give themselves an up hill battle for the last 5 minutes, Randell sin binned for a high shot on Lomax as he sprinted through the line, the tackle deemed as dangerous contact and Randell was forced to leave the field.

The sides were soon back on level terms menwise, Percival sent for 10 minutes for dissent with 3 minutes to play, the game well and truly boiling over and the atmosphere becoming a little too much for some of the Saints players.

A tense final few sets would finally see the end of the game as Wakefield would somehow hang onto the lead and leave with 2 points.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours