Saints Too Good Against Hull

Images Rights- @plattyphoto

St Helens claimed yet another convincing victory, this time against an opponent they have previously struggled to see off, Hull had left the Totally Wicked Stadium with 2 points in their last 3 visits but tonight that was to change.

St Helens looked to have made a very strong start, Theo Fages' kicks were causing issues for Hull defenders, forcing a drop out on just their second attack, from the drop out though Saints would spill the ball and give the Black and White's possession and an early let off.

Hull would give away a penalty on their 40 metre line to put Saints within touching distance of the line, the Hull line holding firm for 5 tackles until Theo Fages would chip over for Zeb Taia to race onto and open the scoring, Danny Richardson converting to give St Helens a 6-0 lead after 7 minutes.

St Helens looked to be punished for their ill discipline in, piggybacking Hull downfield after the markers were caught not square, from the resulting possession the Black and White's would cross, Jake Connor deemed to have knocked on by the video referee and the try was chalked off.

Mark Percival would once more invite the visitors to throw everything at the Saints line, giving away a penalty for a high tackle, Saints having to really muscle up in defence to keep the Black and Whites out once more.

Hull would go through a strong spell of possession but were still unable to break the Saints line, Marc Sneyd attempting a 40:20 to put his side in good field position, his kick somehow prevented from crossing the line by a flying Tommy Makinson, it was becoming more and more apparent it was going to be a long day for Hull.

Saints received a huge let off after knocking on in their own 300 as Hull were very quickly becoming the nearly men of the game, Jordan Lane going over for a certain try but knocking on and costing Hull their second good opportunity of the game.

At halftime St Helens somehow retained their slender 6-0 lead.

The second half would get underway and soon after a Hull knock on near their own line from another Theo Fages chip would put Saints in attack mode, Jonny Lomax going at the line and drawing defenders before releasing a flat ball to Mark Percival to grab a try just 2 minutes after halftime, Richardson going 2 for 2 to make it 12-0 after 42 minutes.

Two Hull players would end up on report the first for applying pressure to the back of the neck in a crusher tackle and then Jake Connor for lifting, from the penalty Richardson would take the Saints lead to 14 after 50 minutes of play.

Albert Kelly would put Hull back into the game, going through a fractured line to give the Black and white's their first points of the day, some controversy surrounded the try as replays revealed the final pass was forward, but the try stood, Sneyd converting and the game was now at 14-6 with 57 minutes played.

Luke Thompson would be denied a try, the St Helens prop going over but was judged to have lost the ball in the process of trying to ground it, Hull getting off once more. Just three minutes later Zeb Taia would double his total for the day, Saints running it on the last before the ball found it's way to the try scoring forward as he grabbed his 6th of the season, Richardson keeping his record at 100% for the day as Saints took a 20-6 lead into the final ten minutes.

5 minutes after losing the ball over the line, Luke Thompson would get his try as he took on the line and carried a Hull man over with him, refusing to be denied once more by defence or handling error, Richardson going 5 for 5 and Saints lead 26-6 with 6 minutes to play.

Hull would take the final points on the night, Chris Green surging over the line in similar fashion to Thompson just minutes earlier, Sneyd converting as Saints claimed a 26-12 victory in-front of their home fans.



Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call