Leeds Comeback To Claim Win Over Rovers

The Leeds Rhinos staged a second half comeback to take the 2 points on offer against a tough Rovers side, the Robins unlucky to leave the KCOM without any points.

Both sides would go close in the opening minutes, both held up just shy of the line to set the scene for the close contest that would ensue in the next 75 minutes.

The Rhinos would concede the first points of the game through their own shortcomings, Ryan Hall knocking on from the play the ball, then Rhinos then giving away back to back penalties away close to their own line, Shaw taking the 2 points on offer to open the scoring after 9 minutes.

The Rovers would set the platform for their next try with some fantastic play, a familiar face back to haunt the Rhinos in the form of Danny McGuire, first nailing a 40/20 to set the Robins up in the Leeds half, then the former Rhinos skipper delivering the ball to put another former Rhino through in Robbie Mulhern, Shaw going 2 for 2 to make it 8-0 after 13 minutes.

The Rhinos would make the scoresheet on the 20th minute mark, building pressure before Leeds halfback Joel Moon put on a little footwork at the line and backed himself through to score, Watkins adding the extras to make it 8-6.

A Hull KR mistake would see the robins punished for not taking their chances, a stray pass leading to a knock on from Shaw, from the resulting possession the Rhinos would go over to take the lead, Richie Myler attacking the line before getting an arm free to offload to Jamie Jones-Buchanan to go over under the sticks, Watkins converting to make it 12-8 to the visitors.

Leeds would give away yet another silly penalty to march the Rovers up-field, they opted to kick to touch and would begin their siege on the Rhinos line form just 10 metres out, it wouldn't take long for the Rhinos line to break, Mose Masoe bursting onto a Tommy Lee pass as he smashed his way over, Shaw converting to make it 14-12 to the Rovers.

All of the Robins points had come directly from penalties or of the back of possession from penalties, you would have thought the Rhinos would have learned their lesson but instead proceed to concede 4 more points through Shaw kicks on the verge of halftime, the Rhinos now going into the break 18-12 down.

The second half would see Mose Masoe sent for 10 after a high shot on a Leeds player, Rovers now with a real job on their hands to keep out a refreshed Rhinos side out just 10 metres from their line.

Leeds would take advantage of the new found space on the edges, sending the ball through the hands until it found Ryan Hall on the left wing for the big winger to slide over, Kallum Watkins nailing the kick from out-wide to put the sides back on level terms.

Danny Tickle would cost the Robins the lead after giving away a penalty for not clearing the ruck, Watkins with a simple kick from dead in-front to make it 20-18 to the Rhinos with 25 minutes left to play.

The Robins would begin turning up the pressure on the Rhinos, Atkin kicking ahead to score but the referee calling play back for a knock much to the disbelief and frustration of the red and white population of the KCOM, then Carnet going just inches shy but the Leeds line still holding firm.

The final 10 minutes would be tense and it certainly looked like the Robins were going to snatch it, Goal line dropouts, held ups and a few handling errors putting them in good position to steal the game, unfortunately for the Rovers they just didn't have enough to pull the game back and the Rhinos ran out 20-18 winners.



Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call