Leeds Capitulate To Hand Wigan Victory

The Leeds Rhinos kept Wigan scoreless for 73 minutes before eventually conceding a penalty to allow Wigan to tie the game, Sam Tomkins would then kick a drop goal to send Wigan into the lead for the first time in the game.

Leeds would apply good early pressure to the Wigan line, the ball was stripped one on one as a Leeds player went through a hole, a scramble then ensued as Richie Myler attempted to drop on the loose ball in the in goal area, the Wigan defender just getting to the ball and knocking it dead stopping a certain try.

Wigan were defending set after set on their own line, the Cherries refusing to allow Leeds in, Tomkins cleaning up the teasing kicks close to the line and finally allowing Wigan to relieve some pressure coming away from their own line.

Leeds would be denied for the second time in 15 minutes by the video referee, Watkins deemed to have lost the ball in contact on his way over, the Video referee deciding it was a loose carry by the Leeds captain.

Leeds opened the scoring after 22 minutes, back to back penalties would put Leeds within 10 metres of the Wigan line, Myler throwing a cut out pass missing two players and finding Tom Briscoe on the right wing, the Leeds winger sliding in to put Leeds ahead, Watkins converting from the sideline.
The penalty was starting to rack up as Wigan gave away another penalty for a high shot, Leeds once more within striking distance of the Warriors line, Joel Moon throwing a pass that was a good few yards forward and Wigan were gifted possession back after the poor pass.

Leeds would put a tricky grubber into the in goal area, the ball bouncing of the post padding and once more a desperate effort was made and George Williams was the fastest to react, Leeds dragging him back behind his own line resulting in a Wigan penalty.

On the verge of halftime Wigan would launch their most promising attack of the half, forcing their first goal line drop out as Ryan Hall was halted behind his own line, Wigan just 2 tackles into their set would throw a loose pass and the Rhinos would see out the half at 6-0.

The second half would start with Sam Powell being sent to the sin bin for a crusher tackle on Rhinos fullback Aston Golding, the tackle understandably left the young back groggy but he was deemed ok to continue and Wigan were down to 12 for the next 10 minutes.

Kallum Watkins and Richie Myler would bomb a certain try between themselves, Watkins with the initial break and the offload just 10 metres before the line was too far behind Myler, the Rhinos 7 unable to gather the ball in and another huge chance went begging.

Wigan were starting to feel their way into the game, earning another drop out, the possession once more unable to be converted into points as the Warriors were running out of time and still with just 12 men on the field.

The Warriors tried to change things up to catch the Rhinos on the back foot, Williams kicking early and Oliver Gildart sprinting through to try and get onto the ball, Aston Golding once more their to thump the ball into touch to hand Wigan another goal line drop out. The chance coming to nothing though as Tautai failing to play the ball properly.

A penalty was awarded to the Rhinos after interference at the play the ball, Watkins opting to shoot for the sticks from 30 metres out and to the left of the posts, the Rhinos captain once more kicking the extras and Leeds now carrying an 8-0 lead into the last 15 minutes.

Wigan would finally get their try, a free flowing off the cuff play saw offload after offload before the ball coming the left side of attack and Oliver Gildart would dive into the corner to set the game up for a huge finish, Sam Tomkins slipping as he took his conversion but the ball scraping over the bar.

Leeds would well and truly shoot themselves in the foot, a Brett Delaney high shot would set Wigan up almost dead in front for Sam Tomkins to level the game off the boot, now 8-8 with just 5 minutes to play.

The Rhinos would completely switch off as the ball was out on the right side of the pitch when it came to Sam Tomkins, next to no pressure applied by the Rhinos as the Wigan fullback gave them the lead for the first time in the game.

Leeds would get the ball back from a short kick off, having two attempts at a one pointer to salvage a point, the first kick charged down by O'Loughlin, the second saw Richie Myler panic under pressure from John Bateman as he skewed the kick wide of the post to give Wigan a 9-8 win over the Rhinos at Headingley.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0