Dragons Steal Victory In Fiery Affair

I don't think anyone anticipated the kind of game that was presented to them, a heated affair that saw the Dragons claim just their third win of the season via a Tony Gigot drop goal with 52 seconds left to play.

Albert Kelly would put Hull in great position to open the game, the halfback hitting a 40/20 to set the Black and Whites deep in Catalans territory, from the resulting possession Scott Taylor would burst onto a pass and crash in to open the scoring, Connor kicking the goal to give Hull the lead after 4 minutes.

2 minutes later Hull were nearly in again through a very familiar face, Fetuli Talanoa backing himself for the corner but bundled into touch by a scrambling Dragons Defence.

Catalans would be the next team to go close, Brayden Wiliame coming down with a high ball before offloading through his own legs for Jodie Broughton, the Dragons winger denied by the Hull winger.

Catalans would out themselves on level terms with 19 minutes gone, veteran hooker Michael McIlorum with the teasing grubber into the in goal area and Brayden Wiliame was the fastest to react, Drinkwater kicking the goal to make it 6-6.

The Dragons would make a rookie error from the restart, a simple lack of communication between Simon and Langi saw them both go for the same ball and fumble the ball over their own dead ball line to give Hull possession on the Catalans 10.

The Catalans would be made to pay for their error, Hakim Miloudi putting on some fantastic footwork to go over for his first ever Super League try, the French international clearly overjoyed with his efforts, Connor adding the extras to make it 12-6.

Catalans looked to have struck back almost immediately once more, Tony Gigot going over for the try but the referee sending it upstairs for review as no try due to suspicions of obstruction in the build up, the video referee confirmed this and the try was chalked off and a penalty given to Hull.

Catalans would be put on a team warning by referee james Child after giving away too many penalties close to their own line, Jake Connor opting to shoot for the sticks when given the opportunity to do so, Hull now taking a 14-6 advantage into the last 4 minutes of the half.

The Dragons would also get a penalty on the stroke of halftime to see them reduce the gap back to 6 after Drinkwater successfully kicked the penalty, 14-8 at halftime.

The Dragons would make the better start to the second half, debutant Josh Drinkwater stepping Mickey Paea to give the Dragons a chance to level the scores up, Drinkwater doing just that and converting his own try to make it 14-14.

Steve McNamara must have read his men the riot act during the interval because the Dragons would go back to back to take the lead for the first time in the game. Brayden Wiliame breaking into space before passing the ball back inside for Tony Gigot for the Catalans playmaker to go over, Drinkwater going 4 for 4 with the boot to make it 20-14 with 35 minutes left on the clock.

Scott Taylor would bag his second of the game with an incredible solo effort, breaking the tackle on the 40 metre line and backing himself all the way to go over under the sticks, the contest was truly alive and kicking, Connor with his easiest kick of the day to make it 20-20.

Jake Connor would kick another Hull penalty goal as they edged in-front while Albert Kelly was escorted from the field with a leg injury, Hull now leading 22-20 and Abdull now forced into the halves. As quick as they were ahead they were level again, the next passage of play seeing the Dragons offered 2 points which Josh Drinkwater would take once more.

Both sides would be reduced to 12 men as tempers frayed, Jake Connor the instigator and Michael mcIlorum the first to react which would earn both players 10 minutes, questions asked of whether the Catalan hooker threw a punch, the incident now referred to the match review panel.

Hull were running out of ball players as Jordan Abdull was forced from the field after his ankley became trapped in a tackle, the Hull utility stretchered off and applauded by all in the ground, hopefully the injury is nothing serious.

With 8 minutes left to play Catalans would be the first team to try their hand at taking the lead, Drinkwater's drop goal taking a deflection off Danny Houghton's elbow and the Catalans getting a fresh set of six, two tackles into that set Catalans got a penalty for a high shot and Drinkwater would make it 24-22.

More late drama as Hull would also get a penalty well within range of Jake Connor's boot, Connor converting to tie the game up with 3 minutes left to play, it looked like the drama was just about over, that was until a Hull handling error gave Catalans a final chance to steal the game.

Tony Gigot the man to slot the field goal and give the Dragons a 25-24 victory.



Popular posts from this blog

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Rhinos Lose Out After Controversial Call