Bibby Double Seals Salford Victory

A late Jake Bibby double helped get the Red Devils over the line in a tough contest with Huddersfield, both sides knowing that a win was of vital importance.

Salford would start the game looking like they believed they could leave with 2 points, Evalds defending a grubber and escaping his in goal, Robert Lui following it up with a 40-20 from the resulting possession. On the last Lui would grubber through and fail to regather on his way over.

Salford were sending a real statement to the Giants, forcing an error four tackles into the set and getting the ball back immediately, Danny Brough then giving away a penalty for a high tackle and the Giants were once more on the back foot.

Salford would start a new set with after another Huddersfield penalty just inside the opposition's half, it was only a matter of time before Salford were to cross, Mark Flanagan the scorer after forcing his way through 3 Giants defenders and under the posts, Lui with an easy kick to make it 6-0 after 10 minutes.

Huddersfield's discipline was really starting to become their downfall, pulled up for being offside and once more inviting the big Salford pack to have a go at the Huddersfield line, Jones tipping on for Flanagan who then found Nakubuwai to finish the move off, Lui going 2 for 2 and Salford now 12-0 with 12 minutes gone.

Salford weren't just attacking well but defending well too, Bibby and Welham working together to deny Innes Senior a try and force him into touch, Salford earning a scrum on their own 10.

A penalty to the Giants late in the set would give them 6 goes at the line from just 10 metres out, shipping the ball wide and youngster Innes Senior this time getting the better of his opposite man to score in the corner, Brough putting the Giants within 6 with a successful conversion, 6-12 with 20 minutes gone.

Lee Gaskell would force Niall Evalds to turn his sharp kick behind for a goal line drop out as Huddersfield started to feel their way back into the game, within 3 tackles the Giants were banging at the Salford door, English crashing over but Lama Tasi doing well to get himself under the ball and deny the Giants a leveller, the first half would end 6-12 Salford.
Weller Hauraki would give the second half it's first clear cut chance, the Salford second rower held on the last just 5 metres from the Huddersfield line, the Giants then would make a real hash of playing the ball correctly and gift Salford 2 points from bang in front, Lui converting once more to give the Red Devils a 6-14 lead.

As quick as Huddersfield could get a spot of luck with a penalty they would turn the ball over with another handling error, the Giants morale starting to fade into the last 30.

Back to back penalties would once more set the wheels in motion of the Salford attack, Lannon earning the penalty and Salford taking the tap 10 metres from the Giants line, Weller Hauraki hitting a great line and forcing his way over for a try to give Salford an extended lead, Lui maintaining his 100% record off the boot and taking Salford to a 20-6 lead.

Huddersfield would piece together one of their better attacking sets of the day, going 80 metres downfield, before Lee Gaskell delivered a fantastic short ball at the line for young talent Oliver Roberts coming back against the grain to cross for the Giants to put them back into the game, Brough converting to make it 20-12 with 20 minutes to play.

It seemed the Giants had found some much needed attacking enthusiasm as they bundled Junior Sa'u back behind his own line to win a goal line drop out, the Giants looked to be in until a great cover tackle from Greg Johnson forced the ball loose and Ryan Lannon would defuse it.

Huddersfield were denied a try for the 4th time, Oliver Roberts once more going over before Salford defenders swarmed from all around to hold the Ireland international up over the line.

After all Huddersfield's hard work they were ultimately the masters of their own downfall, Flanagan hit late and Salford gifted 2 points within range of Robert Lui's boot, Lui obliged and Salford now had a 22-12 lead coming into the last 10 minutes.

The day would go from bad to worse for the Giants, their captain Danny Brough obviously frustrated sent for 10 for dissent meaning Huddersfield would be forced to play the last 6 minutes with 12 men.

Salford would make the room on the flanks count, Jake Bibby crossing twice in the last 3 minutes after the Red Devils created an overlap to give Salford a convincing 30-12 victory over Huddersfield.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0