Super League Round 8 Headlines

A very quick Easter Schedule has begun and I know I'm struggling to keep up with it, in case you missed any of the action here's the headlines.

Castleford Edge Out Wakefield
In torrential rain and an ever growing mud bath, Castleford came out 11-6 winners in their Thursday fixture against Wakefield. Trinity using pure innovation for their only score of the night, Liam Finn kicking early in the tackle count and the ball sitting up in the in goal area, Ben Jones-Bishop the fastest to react as Trinity looked to find the killer blow but unable to do so. A try from Mike McMeeken the only four pointer for the Tigers on the night, however, Luke Gale registered 1 conversion, 1 drop goal and 2 penalty goals to give the visitors the victory.

Salford Cause Catalans Yet More Pain
The Red Devils were pretty much on top from the word go, taking just 8 minutes to hit the front foot through Jake Bibby, quickly followed by a Niall Evalds try just 3 minutes later, from there Catalans would invite attack after attack onto themselves through cheap penalties and handling errors. Yaha would collect a Tony Gigot kick to give the away fans something to cheer about, somehow at halftime the score just 12-4 to Salford. Salford would register three second half tries; Welham, Johnson and Jones the scorers, to Catalans 2, Yaha intercepting and racing 90 metres and Bird forcing his way over, final score 32-16 Salford.

12 Man FC Overcome KR 
Danny Houghton would take just 2 minutes to announce his return to action, pouncing on a loose ball from a very confusing loose carry/strip scenario, to register the first points of the game. On the 9 minute mark Bureta Faraimo would see red for a challenge on Atkin and FC would be forced to play 71 minutes with 12 men. The Rovers would soon start finding the gaps as Minns would grab his first of a hat-trick of tries and the game was well and truly on. Talanoa would grab two before the close of the first half and Jamie Shaul would add his name to the list of try scorers, Minns would grab his second for Rovers to make it a 22-16 game at the close of the half. A try a piece in the second half, FC's through Connor and Rovers' through Shaw as the game would close up at 30-22 to Hull FC.

Charnley Debut Double Spurs Wolves Comeback
Widnes would get off to the perfect start, young winger Ed Chamberlain grabbing a first half double to put the Vikings out to 10-0 lead after just 25 minutes. The Wolves would reply through a Toby King double would level the scores at 12-12 at the close of the fist half. Warrington would come out swinging in the second half, a double from Charnley and tries from Ben Westwood and Sitaleki Akauola would put Warrington out to a 32-12 lead with 10 minutes to play, Rhys Hanbury would grab a late consolation try for Widnes to see the game out at 32-18 to Warrington.

Leeds Salvage Point At Injury Riddled Huddersfield
Leeds were lucky to leave Huddersfield with a point as Jordan Rankin would miss a drop goal with 55 seconds left on the clock. Another poor start from Leeds saw the visitors go down 12-0 after just 17 minutes, a Jared Simpson double giving Huddersfield their best start to a fixture all season. Richie Myler would bomb a certain try after dropping the ball cold on his way to the stripe. A Kallum Watkins try would put Leeds back in the fixture but a penalty goal would put Huddersfield out to a 14-6 halftime lead. Second half tries from Ryan Hall would open the scoring for the second half and Ash Handley grabbing his first of the game, but O'Brien's try would cancel it out just 15 minutes later, the Rhinos ill discipline would see them concede two more points to push them 4 points behind the Giants.Ash Handley's second try of the game with 2 minutes left to play and Watkins successful conversion would salvage the Rhinos 1 point against the Giants in a 22-22 draw.

Saints And Wigan Provide Easter Thriller
Saints and Wigan would provide a classic Super league contest to finish round 8, first half tries from Ben Barba and Zeb Taia would give Saints a 12-0 lead going into the half after a fantastic first half from the neutral perspective. The second half would be points galore in a mad final 10 minutes, Tomkins would register Wigan's first points of the game 5 minutes after halftime shortly followed by Willie Isa levelling the game up with 15 minutes to play to setup a grandstand finish. A penalty conversion with 8 minutes left to play would push Saints out to a 14-12 lead, proceeded by Regan Grace once more haunting the Warriors with a try to what seemed like the final blow, Richardson slotting the conversion and a drop goal shortly after to give Saints a 21-14 lead and the game beyond reasonable doubt, until Joel Tomkins smashed his way over to grab his second of the game and put Wigan within 3 points. The Warriors running out of time and Saints running out 21-18 victors.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Nath’s Sunday Night Signings and Rumours

Turkey demolish Japan 60-0