Round 3 Review: Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles

Manly were coming off a 54-0 smashing of the Parramatta Eels as the Bunnies were looking to get a win under their belt for the first time in 2018 at a very wet ANZ Stadium. Both teams made no changes to the starting line-ups named on Tuesday as it very quickly became a game of the forwards as the rain came down.

It was a good start to the game for the Bunnies as Rob Jennings was able to get across for the first points of the game in just the 2nd minute of play after a great cut out ball from Alex Johnston. Adam Doueihi wasn't able to convert, leaving the Bunnies up with a 4-0 lead.

South Sydney didn't have to wait long for the next points, with what looked to be a nice grubber from Daly Cherry-Evans in the attacking zone ending up in the hands of Alex Johnston. The fullback left Manly in the dust, running the length of the field to score his first try of the game. Doueihi made no mistake this time to make it 10-0 in the first 12 minutes.

Manly weren't without their chances, pestering the Bunnies goal line without vale, but the last try of the half went to Richie Kennar. A chip across the field ended up with Brian Kelly, but a good tackle from Damien Cook saw the ball come loose. Crichton scooped the loose ball up to Dane Gagai, who flicked it to the free Kennar to make it 14-0. Doueihi looked to convert, but his attempt hit the right post.

Manly had a great chance to hit back before half time, with some great running by their backline but they couldn't make the most of their chance as it was 14-0 at half time. The second half started just as poorly with Addin Fonua-Blake being taken out on the first hit up and Shaun Lane failing his HIA exam.

The Bunnies were able to put the points back on after an error from Jorge Taufua, with Alex Johnston providing a lovely pass to Rob Jennings for his 2nd try of the day in the left corner. Doueihi once again missed his conversion, keeping the score at 18-0 with 8 minutes gone in the second half.

Manly were able to hit back against the run of the play, after a penalty on halfway allowed the Sea Eagles to get close to the line. Jackson Hastings managed to get over from dummy half next to the right post, with Daly-Cherry Evans converting his first attempt for an 18-6 scoreline with 26 minutes left.

The next few minutes were attacking masterclasses, with a great kick from Doueihi being knocked on by Tom Trbojevic. The ball bobbled off the heads of Kennar and Trbojevic, before Kennar gathered and went over to score for the Bunnies to hit straight back. Doueihi sunk his second conversion of the day, as South Sydney went out to a 24-6 lead.

Cameron Murray made a fantastic run, with the Bunnies forwards destroying Manly's forward pack in what was the story of the game. Johnston and Greg Inglis combined to send Rob Jennings over for his hat-trick. Doueihi sunk his best shot on goal in a breakout game for the half, as the Bunnies went to a 30-6 lead with 18 minutes left.

Jake Trjobevic nearly went over for Manly, but a good tackle by the Bunnies defense and a strip from Sam Burgess saw a no try call. It re-invigorated Manly, but South Sydney were too strong in defense. The icing was on the cake with 2 minutes to go, as Hymel Hunt went over for the final try of the night to cap off a 34-6 win.

For Manly, it was an 82 point turnaround from last week while South Sydney broke the duck with this win. Manly are at home next week to the Raiders, while South Sydney are back at ANZ against the Bulldogs.



Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours