Fewy and Boom's Round Recap: Round 3

Thursday 22nd March: Storm vs Cowboys (Attendance: 12,866)

We had the Grand Final rematch to kick start this round and the Cowboys were welcoming back Five-Eighth Michael Morgan. The Storm on the other hand showed up to play after a disappointing Round 2 loss to the Tigers.

The Storm got off to a fast start with an early Penalty Goal followed by a try from back-rower Joe Stimson. But the Cowboys hit back and 25 minutes into the game the score was locked up at 8-8 with a try coming from Cowboys big man Coen Hess.

The Storm basically from this point took off and capitalized on good field position and basically running away from the Cowboys at this stage. Defeating the Cowboys 30-14.

Friday 23rd March: Bulldogs vs Panthers (Attendance: 11,247)

A battle out in Western Sydney saw the Bulldogs host the panthers, In what was a thrilling contest. The Bulldogs dominated most of the first half heading into the break leading 18-12.

The Panthers took a massive blow however with Halfback Nathan Cleary doing a Grade 3 Strain to his MCL which will see him out for 6-10 weeks. But they didn't give up.

Just like their first two games the Panthers showed that they can stay in the fight for the full 80 minutes and almost came back to win.

A late try to Josh Mansour and the conversion from James Maloney saw the visitors down by 2 points with 8 minutes remaining. The Bulldogs hung on strong and got their first win of the new season. The bulldogs won 20-18.

Friday 24th March: Tigers vs Broncos (Attendance: 11,434)

In what was a match surrounded by some controversy, both sides put on a show. Only one try was managed to be scored and that came in the 52nd minute to Michael Chee-Kam. The Broncos scored 6 points off the back of Jamayne Isaako Penalty Goals.

The score was locked up at 6-6 heading into the 78th minute when Jamayne Isaako knocked over a field goal for the Broncos. Thinking they had the game won the Tigers showed that they are an 80 minute side this year with Luke Brooks nailing a field goal 60 seconds later.

This is where the controversy starts with the game heading into Golden Point the Tigers missed a field goal in which the Broncos appeared to be offside at marker. However down the other end of the field a penalty was blown where the Referees deemed that new recruit Robbie Rochow was offside at the play the ball gifting the Broncos a penalty in front which sealed the win.

The Referee boss Bernard Sutton came out the following day saying that the penalty should not have been blown and that it cost the Tigers a chance at winning the game or forcing a draw. The Broncos won 9-7.

Saturday 25th March: Raiders vs Warriors (Attendance: 11,963) 

Things just aren't going the way of the Green Machine this season. At the moment they are struggling to play a full 80 minutes of football. The Raiders aren't playing so bad and for a team that is 0-3 to start they year they are sitting fine with a -5 points for and against.

The Raiders led for almost the whole game. After early tries to Siliva Havili and Elliot Whitehead and a field goal right on halftime from Sam Williams for the Raiders and a try from Warriors Winger Peta Hiku for the the Raiders went into the break leading 13-6.

Not long into the second half Nic Cotric scored for the Raiders which game them a 10 point lead and a Penalty Goal just a few moments after gave the Raiders a handy two converted try lead.

The Warriors didn't give up however. The Warriors forward pack came out firing in the second half with two late tries. Suddenly they were down by a point with 3 minutes remaining on the clock. Some magic from Shaun Johnson and a great shift to the Raiders left side saw the Warriors gain easy field position finished off with a Shaun Johnson field goal to tie the game.

Off the kick off, the Warriors mirrored their previous set with the shift finished off by a Shaun Johnson field goal sealing the win right at the death. The Warriors won 20-19.

Saturday 25th March: Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles (Attendance: 12,553) 

The Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles was the first game of the double headers at ANZ Stadium on Saturday afternoon, and unfortunately for Manly the rain stopped them from playing the fast expensive football that they did the week before and we South making the most of the conditions and by the time Manly finally got on the board in the 54th minute the game is already over. 

South forwards dominated Manly similar to the way Manly dominated the Eels the week before with the Souths making 700 extra meters than Manly and with more than double the missed tackles last weeks victory was quickly out of thought for the Manly players. 

As for the Bunnies fish is there first win under coach Anthony Seibold, Cameron Murray played a great role in the middle of the field and looks to have completely overcome a quad injury that forced into start on the bench round 1, Robert Jennings bag himself hat trick lift Rise while Alex Johnston also had a hand in for a South Sydney 7 price including a length of the field effort. Souths running out convincing winners 34-6.

Saturday 25th March: Eels vs Sharks (Attendance: 12,553)

The 2nd of the double headers at ANZ had the cellar Dwellers Parramatta Eels up against the Cronulla Sharks and boy that match was even worse than it sounded. 

Both sides scored 1 try each, but just like round 1 for Parramatta the difference came down to penalty goals, the side gifting away too many silly penalties and the Sharks took full advantage as Chad Townsend got all 4 penalty shots, not to mention scoring the Sharks only try which he also converted, collecting all 14 points for the Sharks for the night. 

As for the Eels their season goes from bad to worse with Hayne, French and Evans injured in the match. A very alarming stat for a side that had such attacking flare last year Mitch Moses did not chalk up a run to his name throughout the match. 

Good thing for Brad Arthur, he doesn't have any hair because with the current performance by Parramatta he would surely be pulling it out. As for the Sharks it may have been Scrappy but at least they are on the board in the 2018 season but things what don't get much easier for them as they take on the reigning Premiers this week. The Sharks won 14-4.

Sunday 26th March: Titans vs Dragons (Attendance: 7297)

Well, this game can only be summed up in one way. One team showed up, the other forgot they had a game this weekend.

The Dragons came into this game heavy favorites and they did they ever live up to the expectation. The Titans were in the game up until the 13th minute mark when the Dragons kicked into another gear and never looked back.

Garreth Widdop played one of his best games yet which looked like every time he touched the ball the Dragons would score.

The Dragons have put the NRL on notice so far in 2018, The question is can they keep it up for all 25 rounds? or will they drop off mid season like seasons past. Time will tell. The Dragons won 54-8.

Sunday 26th March: Roosters vs Knights (Attendance: 15,153) 

This game was herald as "Mitchell Pearce's return game", however much like the game before it only one team showed up.

From the get go the Roosters were all over the Knights and they never let up. The Roosters goal line defence was superb and barely made any mistakes.

The Knights had some great individual performances with Kalyn Ponga having another blinder for his new club.

Cooper Cronk was outstanding, and definitely got the better against his halves opponent in Mitchell Pearce, and with the other battle of the halves Luke Keary out played Connor Watson until Watson left the field due to injury and when Brock Lamb came on to replace him not much else changed.

The Roosters are looking better and better each and every week so look for them to be dangerous on the back half of the season as they march towards the finals. The Roosters won 38-8.

- Fewy and Boom


Popular posts from this blog

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours

Manly Rookie charged with Intentionally Filming Sex Act

Nath’s Monday Signings and Rumours